My P800 is now "chipless"

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I jumped out in the air!

Works great. No chips at all on the carts!

Tested USB and Wifi - and printed some profile charts etc etc - all seems to work.
Also - wast ink tank shows fully green.... Just kicked in my 3880 carts after releasing them
from the chips.

Epson - I admit I'm a ink-cheater - those anonymous ink meetings was of no use. !!!!

It was cheaper than buying carts and waiting for chips!

But yes, I was scared I must admit, that I was going to brick that beauty!
However if, then I could sell the the roll feeder cheap to @pharmacist....

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
That sounds great. The price is I believe $60.

I might do this with my epson P800 as well, but the ink level will stay 100% for ever I think, so you will have check the cartridges on a regular basis. Which ink do you use for your Epson Pro 3880/P800 ?

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cone pro HD, and his "super hdd photoblack" - but yellow is OEM Epson after I did see at Aardenburg that Cone yellow was a bit fading. Cone says that it is fixed - but I continue with that until I read otherwise.
OK I belive they a bit high in costs but I'm satisfyed. Postage and handling is also high buying overseas. However - still much cheaper than OEM.
Forgot to say that I also use all OEM on more serious jobs.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sounds great about the chipless method. I was considering flashing this special firmware and refill the original cartridges too at the cost of all ink levels staying 100% permanently. Did you pay $60 too ?

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
$75. I chosed Inklessolutions. com as I had a feeling of lower fail rate there. There are others cheaper at $60.

Carts: I would use non-oem, the clear ones, so You can see the inklevels by eyesight. Just open the lid and preferably have help of a little lamp sitting ready besides the printer.
I'll miss the OEMs. on the P800. One of those non-oem set are from Cone that I bought. Somewhat higher quality - or as he said he tested many of them before deciding to chose one make that hold better quality. Of cause a little bit more expensive (also Chinese). I have some of the cheaper as well. You must on all of them have an eye on the outlet ports. Have read that the rubber O-rings often are of low quality.

As for now - I really like I did the P800 chipless. Those chips are not allways fun.

It's on ones own risk - changing firmware made by some pirates was for me a bit scary. Now done - so I believe as You read my succes You will not hesitate as I did.
Take Your time and study the manual and learn the thing by heart - don't do it until you feel fully confident.

Do not blame me if You toast your P800!:plbb
Hey man - today I'll mount that nice paper feeder with a rool of 17" baryta paper and test it out....

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's the sport man! It's the sport!

(and selling the rest as spare parts might make You rich:celebrate)

Posetivism has it's advantages.... and is funny. Hanglips on their own.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
.... and I thought that printing should be a relaxing, cosy and cheap hobby for a retired man.....Yeh...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am still using my refillable cartridges from Aliexpress.com and they are in my printer for more than 6 years now and still going strong. I don't understand why you use refillable cartridges, while the EU-version of the P800 is not affected by the problem (one time chip only) as in the US-version of the printer ? That makes for me not much sense, since these chips gives you an estimated ink level and drops gradually like original cartridges. With the special firmware, the cartridges will always stay full, which is the way to go for those wanting to refill the original cartridges.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
My piggyback carts always showed full. There must be different and I must have missed the study before I bought mine.
However lifting the lid and have a look at the inklevels is a habit of mine for those.
On the 3880 I mostly uses OEM-carts and resets them. True ink levels shown.

I already ordered those EU-chip from aliexpress about 25 euro. If I'm unhappy it seems as if I can revert and use chip that you mentioned showing the inklevels.

Future will show what I prefer. I have the choice.

Just now this is no problem - for me that is. As a matter of fact I just now like the idea of chipless. One part less in the trouble chain. For me 80ml is lot of ink - though smaller printer/carts need more attention on inklevels/monitor.

It's up to You to make Your decisions.
I understand your thinking.

Edit:/
Just looking in at aliexpress: The ones I bought are ARC-chips. Suppose those resets as my older ones when printer is shut down and then powered up again. Those from Cone was also "always full". Can not find any chips that states "shows ink-level".
Have now also been at German and English forums. Do not find any that say "monitor ink levels" Perhaps hard to find. But I believe You have better contacts than I have. Dream of cause is to have a reseter like that for OEM-chips on 3880. For P800 there are none! /END edit.

Last edited: