My New Canon PIXMA Pro-100

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
That's good advice to know about the 60-hour cleaning cycle. I was going to make sure I print something periodically just to keep the print heads from clogging; I have so much art and paper. Which makes me want to consider refilling these stock cartridges. Are you talking about from Devices and Printers Right-Click->Printer Properties->Print Test Page? That test page? Will that exercise all 8 print heads? And I just read your "(from Maintenance)" but don't see a "test page" on the Maintenance tab.

My apologies that I didn't use the exact wording. I am just in the process of installing Windows 10, and my Pro-100 is not yet installed. After all the horror stories on the Internet, I must say I am now impressed with Win 10. ALL my (legal) legacy software, including way back to Office 2003, installed without a hitch, and most amazingly where "updated" with all the official updates. Not a single error or complaint, with the exception of my Pro-100 not being recognized on the network this evening. But that will be addressed tomorrow.

Anyway, yes, the "test print" was meant to be some option on the Maintenance Tab of the Printer Properties. It prints a page with field for every color. From the techies at Canon, it's the best way to exercise every jet of the printhead, and it does this with minimum ink use. The fact that the exercise ink goes on paper, rather that the waste ink sponge is also an advantage. Replacing the waste ink sponge is a MAJOR job, so one would want to limit that need.

BTW, your photos are awesome. Hope you still enjoy the Pro-100.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
My apologies that I didn't use the exact wording. I am just in the process of installing Windows 10, and my Pro-100 is not yet installed. After all the horror stories on the Internet, I must say I am now impressed with Win 10. ALL my (legal) legacy software, including way back to Office 2003, installed without a hitch, and most amazingly where "updated" with all the official updates. Not a single error or complaint, with the exception of my Pro-100 not being recognized on the network this evening. But that will be addressed tomorrow.

Anyway, yes, the "test print" was meant to be some option on the Maintenance Tab of the Printer Properties. It prints a page with field for every color. From the techies at Canon, it's the best way to exercise every jet of the printhead, and it does this with minimum ink use. The fact that the exercise ink goes on paper, rather that the waste ink sponge is also an advantage. Replacing the waste ink sponge is a MAJOR job, so one would want to limit that need.

Don't pay too much attention to a lot of the misinformation and blatantly erroneous data on the internet, especially some of the Youtube videos. Unless you have researched their source and veracity.

Speaking of which - Search "Jose Rodriguez" on You tube - include the word "printers" to get the right guy.

He has a lot of videos specifically devoted to the Pro-100 AND he visits this site under the name of JToolman. You will not find anyone more knowledgeable about the Pro-100.

His videos will give you everything you wanted to know about the Pro-100 and more. And he is a reliable and credible source.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
He has a lot of videos specifically devoted to the Pro-100 AND he visits this site under the name of JToolman. You will not find anyone more knowledgeable about the Pro-100.

His videos will give you everything you wanted to know about the Pro-100 and more. And he is a reliable and credible source.
+1 ;)

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Don't pay too much attention to a lot of the misinformation and blatantly erroneous data on the internet, especially some of the Youtube videos. Unless you have researched their source and veracity.

Speaking of which - Search "Jose Rodriguez" on You tube - include the word "printers" to get the right guy.

rs

Yes, I am glad that I finally caved in and installed Windows 10. It is a good working version, and the different look and feel I will learn, and mostly have already.

I believe it is in one of the videos you mentioned that I learned about the 60 hrs, and how to prevent expensive cleaning cycles. But thanks for your reminder to go back and revisit those videos to learn more tricks.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500

The closest thing I can find under the Maintenance tab that would exercise all jets would be the Nozzle Check.
NozzleCheck.jpg

Is that what you meant by "test print"?

Not a single error or complaint, with the exception of my Pro-100 not being recognized on the network this evening.
I think you'll need the Pro-100 Installation CD and a USB cable to make the network connection. I know that sound counter intuitive but the software installation directed me to connect the USB cable while the network cable was connected, it set up the network connection, then directed me to disconnect the USB cable and it's stayed that way ever since. I'm only connected via cat-5 network cable and not using Wi-Fi either. So, try that.

And you've given me yet another reason to upgrade to Windows 10 (I'm still on Win 7).

Why thank you very kindly. :)

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500

Jose Rodriguez is awesome! I've been helped by many of his videos. I'm glad he owns the Pro-100 and even more excited that he's on our website, JToolman, right?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@PalaDolphin
How does the in mail rebate work
I live in the UK but have a friend who lives in Florida ???

From what I have heard it is very difficult for a NON US resident to take advantage of the rebate and if you want to try it certainly is not for the faint hearted.

I live 45 minutes from the upper NY state and still cannot find a Canadian who has successfully taken advantage of the rebate. I am sure many have tried, and you have to pay full retail while the rebate is processed. If your claim fails you get nothing rebated.

I believe CANON is very efficient at detecting non US addresses, plus in the rebate forms I have seen the rebate comes in the form of an American Express cash card containing the Rebate dollars. Don't know if it is tied to a verified US address.

Most printers are heavy and shipping, especially international is disproportionaly expensive.

Have also heard the EU tax collectors are super efficient and merciless. So you are probably going to have to pay on arrival the most they can calculate as owing.

Most of the above is hear-say. No first hand experience, and would be delighted to be proven wrong and learn of a work around that does not involve perjury or worse.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Have also heard the EU tax collectors are super efficient and merciless. So you are probably going to have to pay on arrival the most they can calculate as owing.
@Roy Sletcher, you are perfectly right about the Amex card or any other card for that matter, usually the first 4 digits on a card represents the country code, so there’s no fooling them...

P.S. The Custom & Excise like to get their pound of flesh also and floating it back on a friend’s pleasure cruiser will not get through unnoticed either...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The AmEx prepaid cards doled out by the Canon rebate is good with US merchants and internet purchases. There is no mention of international usage nor that the who accepts payment on the internet may not be US-based.

A call to AmEx would clear up these questions.