My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
From what I can conclude, and don’t quote me on this, the air intake system is to allow the internal bladder to stay inflated as the ink is drawn into the printer, something has to replace the ink, otherwise the cart would just suck the ink back in again..

The serpentine path on the CLl-8 cart does much the same thing, that allows air to replace the used ink to maintain the same atmosphere all the time..
This air vent doesn’t leak ink, but it needs to be keep clear, and I reckon it’s better to pull back on the syringe plunger a little after filling to clear this vent of any ink..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

The serpentine path on the CLl-8 cart does much the same thing, that allows air to replace the used ink to maintain the same atmosphere all the time..
This air vent doesn’t leak ink, but it needs to be keep clear, and I reckon it’s better to pull back on the syringe plunger a little after filling to clear this vent of any ink..
Same reason you must not overfill I suppose.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
As mentioned elsewhere the black channel was clogging more and more, I suspect the octopus-office.de BK ink I used several years without problems lost quality (maybe the pigments sedimented).
I tried large format MBK, it solved the problem for some time, but not to my satisfaction.
I even ordered a new printhead at eparts.fr just in case (not cheap, but new printers are difficult to find).

Since GI-56 BK bottles were out of stock at 123ink.be, I refilled in despair from a large format BK (photo black) cart.
This ink was able to clean the printhead, quality is top again.
I didn't expect the Maxify would be so picky on ink.

Attachments

• Facture vente ventes INV-22-03386_copy.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 192

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
It isn't so picky, if it works fine with Lucia inks instead of regular Maxify ink. ;)

The autoreset chip in one of my cyan carts was declared in 'unknown condition' by the printer last week. Maybe the contacts are a bit oxidized or else the chip has become unreadable. No problems or errors so far. I know that there's enough ink inside the cart and the flow control chamber will tell me when it's time to refill, possibly triggering some sort of error. Let's wait and see. :rolleyes:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It isn't so picky, if it works fine with Lucia inks instead of regular Maxify ink. ;)

The autoreset chip in one of my cyan carts was declared in 'unknown condition' by the printer last week. Maybe the contacts are a bit oxidized or else the chip has become unreadable. No problems or errors so far. I know that there's enough ink inside the cart and the flow control chamber will tell me when it's time to refill, possibly triggering some sort of error. Let's wait and see. :rolleyes:
Did you try to clean the chip contacts with isopropanol ?
Worked for me.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Not lately. That unknown condition was triggered several weeks after the cart was refilled last time. In these weeks ink level was repported normally on screen. As the Maxify now continues to print without issues, I didn't bother to remove the cyan cart. When it's empty I'll remove it, clean the contacts, refill it and reinstall to see what happens. As the chip wasn't declared empty, I doubt that it will autoreset to full, in case it was a problem of dirty contacts.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Not lately. That unknown condition was triggered several weeks after the cart was refilled last time. In these weeks ink level was repported normally on screen. As the Maxify now continues to print without issues, I didn't bother to remove the cyan cart. When it's empty I'll remove it, clean the contacts, refill it and reinstall to see what happens. As the chip wasn't declared empty, I doubt that it will autoreset to full, in case it was a problem of dirty contacts.
After all the level indicated by the chip is just a nice to have.
As you discovered, the printhead has an ink level sensor and will raise an error when the cart is really empty.
Only problem I am afraid is you need a cart with a non-empty chip to reset this.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I didn't expect the Maxify would be so picky on ink.
I found the Maxify was only fussy with the black ink, other than that everything is working great on Canon Bottled inks, and I originally wanted to get a spare print head too, but eparts.fr were out of stock, so I bought a new MB2750 for €130 euro as a spare, and it’s still in the box..

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Hi all,

Today, after two years of perfect service I had my first breakdown of my Maxify MB5050.
Original Carts refilled with arc chip on them, following Palombian's instructions.
However I don't think it's the cartridges fault?

If it were a Pc I would describe it as:
"Windows is stuck in a "reboot loop"

- Switch on printer
- Maxify logo on screen.
- Scanner initialises (goes to right stop)
- Print carriage moves (usual sounds)
- Meanwhile scanner bumps to right stop and keeps hitting the right stop
like forever >6 seconds
(normally the scanner would hit the stop for one second and then move back to the left)
- Brief amber flash on the error led
- Reboot. (back to step 1)

Has anyone had happen something similar with their Maxify with the
refilled carts?
Is there anything I still can try? (apart from sending it to printer heaven ;) )
Just wanted to let you know.

Greetings

@Artur5:

I had something similar in the past.
I had accidently refilled a cartridge before chip was declared empty. It worked
out fine. When the ink finally ran out, the printer would show the usual BXXX error. After the error I could remove the cart & the chip was reset next time it was inserted. (the the ink levels were back in sync with the real situation).

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi all,

Today, after two years of perfect service I had my first breakdown of my Maxify MB5050.
Original Carts refilled with arc chip on them, following Palombian's instructions.
However I don't think it's the cartridges fault?

If it were a Pc I would describe it as:
"Windows is stuck in a "reboot loop"

- Switch on printer
- Maxify logo on screen.
- Scanner initialises (goes to right stop)
- Print carriage moves (usual sounds)
- Meanwhile scanner bumps to right stop and keeps hitting the right stop
like forever >6 seconds
(normally the scanner would hit the stop for one second and then move back to the left)
- Brief amber flash on the error led
- Reboot. (back to step 1)

Has anyone had happen something similar with their Maxify with the
refilled carts?
Is there anything I still can try? (apart from sending it to printer heaven ;) )
Just wanted to let you know.

Greetings
Looks like a scanner error.
Is it locked somewhere ?