My “Johnny 5 computer”

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if something, as yet indeterminate, is afoot with Win 7. I have had a number miscellaneous stops on start-up and Win 7 initiating system and file security checks. All seem to resolve themselves and all scans are OK.

How about someone trying to persuade us to change to Win10?:lol:

Win 7 users. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybra...-be-assimilated-into-windows-10/#1a0bddf1ceb9

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
How about someone trying to persuade us to change to Win10?

Unfortunately Microsoft still seems to think it is still the upstart of the 1970's leading the way to the digital future, and taking down the enemy which was IBM and a couple of others in the 1970s.

Now we are in the 21st century and somewhere along the way they missed a turn and became the enemy. Their latest messages being something along the lines of, "Our way or the highway"

Hardly a compelling argument to make users change. Of course they could follow the well known business principle of offering a product of higher perceived value as an incentive to switch products, but that presupposes they have one.

If they do indeed have one they certainly are not doing a good job of presenting it. Some of us with a functioning memory can remember previous versions. To us this looks suspiciously like, "Here we go again"

I will probably change in due course, but not because Microsoft deems I should, but because I will need a new OS to do what my current one cannot do.

rs

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
If you think about it car, washing machine, television etc. manufacturers are missing a trick here, they could be forcing us to upgrade our software every couple of years, just like Microsoft!

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU powers are planning to clobber MS over this forced system upgrade process, as they have on some other issues. :duc

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you think about it car, washing machine, television etc. manufacturers are missing a trick here, they could be forcing us to upgrade our software every couple of years, just like Microsoft!

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU powers are planning to clobber MS over this forced system upgrade process, as they have on some other issues. :duc

You know vinyl is back in a big way! Yay. Now where did I put my DOS diskettes? Oh heck I threw out those nice shugart 5 1/4" full height floppy disk drives! Darn.

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
You know vinyl is back in a big way! Yay. Now where did I put my DOS diskettes? Oh heck I threw out those nice shugart 5 1/4" full height floppy disk drives! Darn.

What you need now is a couple of 8" floppies.

Watched a "60 minutes" documentary couple of years back showing an underground nuclear missile silo in one of the US plains states.

The military nerd doing the commentary showed them transferring data on 8" floppies. Paraphrasing his commentary, "Perfect security - nobody but us can read these things".

Only old guys like me can remember 8" floppies. Well maybe urologists see a couple from time to time :)

rs

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I remember the 8" floppies very well, but except for the first home brew systems, they were never really used on PC's.
To speak for WIN 10 (and the continuity of Microsoft), I added this weekend a card with parallel printer and serial ports. It was recognised without problems and the latest version of Mobile App Center connected to my old COMPAQ iPAQ Pocket PC (it runs an antediluvial Windows Mobile) I still use to navigate in my glider
IMG_4284_S.JPG

(WinPilot software).
I am quite certain I could connect 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch floppies, but I've thrown everything away also.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's been so long with the 5 1/4" floppy and its initial 160Kb of storage. Then the "new" DOS moved us to be able to get Double sided usage of 320 Kb. Now that was serious storage.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I remember the 8" floppies very well, but except for the first home brew systems, they were never really used on PC's.
To speak for WIN 10 (and the continuity of Microsoft), I added this weekend a card with parallel printer and serial ports. It was recognised without problems and the latest version of Mobile App Center connected to my old COMPAQ iPAQ Pocket PC (it runs an antediluvial Windows Mobile) I still use to navigate in my glider View attachment 3817
(WinPilot software).
I am quite certain I could connect 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch floppies, but I've thrown everything away also.

Ah! Up with the eagles :)