Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess that defective RAM would cause the computer to crash or freeze, but maybe it can also cause other problems. I suggest to run a RAM test using Memtest86+ to rule out RAM problems. I use the version burned to a CD and boot from that, but you can also transfer the program to a USB stick and boot from that.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hat, you still spinning rust? About time to move to a SSD! at least for the OS!

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB recently, not because my PC had problems but because of the Windows 10 upgrade giving error messages about updates, to do a fresh install with no risk (I always could boot from the old disk).
My C: drive already was a 2TB hybrid (with 8GB SSD) so I didn't win much in boot time.
IMO most of the speed gain came from the fresh Windows 10 install.

Since the 250GB SSD does not give substantial additional disk space I reserved it for the OS and program files, LR previews etc, isolating them from the data.
Reserved also 10% overprovisioning.
A smaller size is not much cheaper and wears twice as fast (since all cells will be used more).

After all I'm glad I did it, not spinning rust anymore !

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I guess that defective RAM would cause the computer to crash or freeze, but maybe it can also cause other problems. I suggest to run a RAM test using Memtest86+ to rule out RAM problems. I use the version burned to a CD and boot from that, but you can also transfer the program to a USB stick and boot from that.

I was burdened with intermittent freezing in Lightroom as well as ProShow Producer a few years ago, that ran for over 6 months. I ran Memtest86+ over and over again and it always passed. Frustrated, I purchased new memory and the errors went away. Luckily I had a lifetime warranty on the RAM and I ended up doubling my RAM in the end. Memtest sometimes does not reveal the errors within the RAM. I was lucky on the guess but sometimes diagnostics does not diagnose properly. What else could have been done?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK thanks guys, you have giving me plenty of work to do for the weekend, I will recheck everything out again and run the proper test to make sure the T’s are crossed and the I’s are doted, I will of course be tutored and monitored by two computer experts so three heads are better than one.. :caf

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I was burdened with intermittent freezing in Lightroom as well as ProShow Producer a few years ago, that ran for over 6 months. I ran Memtest86+ over and over again and it always passed. Frustrated, I purchased new memory and the errors went away. Luckily I had a lifetime warranty on the RAM and I ended up doubling my RAM in the end. Memtest sometimes does not reveal the errors within the RAM. I was lucky on the guess but sometimes diagnostics does not diagnose properly. What else could have been done?
I wonder if Memtest stresses the RAM and the rest of the computer less than Lightroom and ProShow Producer, meaning that the RAM and maybe also CPU and chipset runs cooler? Overheating can cause a computer to become unstable and cause errors, or in a worst case fail. So are the cooling fans working properly and the heat sinks/cooling fins clean in the "Johnny 5" computer?

I use an inexpensive IR thermometer to check the temperature of electronic components. My thermometer is similar to this, offered at Lidl DK next week. DKK 129 = € 17.30 . Its primary purpose is finding defects in heat insulation in houses, but It might also be helpful in finding out if something is overheating in the computer.

IR thermometer.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
My drastic cooling solution: remove the side panel, relocate the cooling fan to blow inwards on the mobo.
RAM and chipset maximum 40 °C now.
Will have to vacuum clean more frequent.

IMG_4282_S.JPG

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Overheating can cause a computer to become unstable and cause errors, or in a worst case fail.
I thought the issues were at boot when cooling is not a variable per se.

... all of the issues mentioned below only happen at the initial daily start-up.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am beginning to wonder if something, as yet indeterminate, is afoot with Win 7. I have had a number miscellaneous stops on start-up and Win 7 initiating system and file security checks. All seem to resolve themselves and all scans are OK.

How about someone trying to persuade us to change to Win10?:lol: