ViennaTom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP980
Hello community !

My Canon MP980 purchased in 2009 has not been used a lot but because of heavy inkjet consumption i started to use refillable cartridges (with autorefill chips). Now after some time of not printing the printer shows error B200 probalby indicating an overheated printhead.

With the cover opened at switch on i could run cleaning procedures and the resulting test prints did not look too bad and pending print requests where even printed flawlessly.
But the error persisted and I decided to clean the printhead using isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. Again test printouts looked fine but the error B200 returned immediately.

I downloaded what is called "Service tool" and learned tricks to enter service menu etc. and also printed the EEPROM test sheet.

What i suspect now is that the printer firmware has detected an overheated head condition once (maybe because of lacking ink or plenty of dirt on the head) and in order to push sales marked the head as being defective. The report shows TempBK=34.0 and TempCL=31.5 so it seems to me that the two diodes in the printhead still measure the temperatures correctly and the head itself is not damaged in ANY WAY.
Just i do not know how to reset the firmware of the printer or how to manipulate the HDEEPROM to indicate a head-change and thereby resetting the B200 error. This is only MY ASSUMPTION but if anyone of you could provide a HDEEPROM printout and i had the pinout of the 3 EEPROM signals (CS,CLK, DIO) I could have a try with my existing printhead and share the results. Unfortunately i could not find a service manual for the MP980 (only MP950 and MP830,...) with the layout of the carriage unit connectors.

Of course if my assumptions are wrong please tell me and i will leave the printer alone ....

Summary:
MP980
Error B200
printouts look fine
idea of simulating head change
built-in obsolescence
no more Canon equipment in my house

Thank you for your assistance
Tom