MP970 major transplant - understand the implications of error codes

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well for quite a while I had two "new" MP970s that I had purchased as is, knowing that there were potential problems. Well they were defective, and I knew it.

The first one was a B200 error code. Nice error code when I searched around. Some had indicated a high voltage issue.
The other one was a 5100 error code transport issue.

After tearing these beasts apart. BTW these AIO which were Canon top of the line are heavy hunks and come apart fairly quickly.

Both printers had failed from Canon build quality issues.

Indeed when I looked at the codes involved I quickly decided that I had to make sure and not swap parts out in the wrong order.

The printer that had the 5100 was destroyed mechanically. Fortunately the head had looked to have survived somehow. The head assembly was distorted and I also noticed that it had broken wires under the head assembly. Mechanically it was a goner.

The B200 on the other hand looked mechanically sound. So I switched the power supply and tried. The B200 had gone but now it indicated that the wrong printhead was installed. I then took the printhead from the other printer and it fired up nicely and worked. After letting it sit idle for 30 minutes. It would no longer power up at all. Now it was totally dead.

Time for the real transplant of transferring the main board from one to the other. It was a relatively easy job but requires some care and guts to bend the side panels. A little over an hour later, it was up and running. T
It appears that the defective power supply creating the B200 error code killed the printhead as well as severley damaged the mainboard.

What's the point of this story? If I had taken the good head and put it into the printer with the B200 error code without vchanging the power supply, I would have destroyed the second head as well. I may have been a bit lucky in this instance but my experience with an erratic i950 whose flaky mainboards destroyed two heads taught me to think about the error codes before swapping things out.

These MP970s are indeed high performance AIOs with tons of features geared towards photgraphers.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great story , Mikling.

Thank you for the tip.