MP780 persistent Check Printer Press [OK] message

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was copying a few pages using ADF and when it was done, the printer started giving this message. I checked for any paper jams in all the places that the manual suggests and didn't find any. The manual specifically has the below two reasons for this specific message:
- There may be an obstruction that is not allowing the Print Head Holder mechanism to move.
- The waste ink tank* (which holds the ink used for print head cleaning) is nearly full.
I was able move the ink head smoothly after switching off the printer, and I didn't find any visible obstructions either. Could the waste ink tank be full to cause this message? I have seen reports that indicate a different message when waste ink tank is full (including the existence of a warning that it is nearly full, which I never got), so I am wondering if this could really be the issue. Does anyone have an experience with this message? What else can I check? Any help in clearing it will be appreciated.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can get into service mode and print the content of the EEPROM.
Look for D = xxx.x which is the waste ink amount in %
If it is not closed to 100%, you can eliminate the waste tank full possibility.

1. Turn printer off.
2. Press & hold Stop/Reset button.
3. Press & hold power button.
4. Release Stop/Reset button. Press Stop/Reset button twice.
5. Release power button. You are in service mode.

EEPROM dump: Make sure you have paper on the paper tray
6. Press Stop/Reset button twice
7. Press power button once.

8. Press power button to get out of service mode.

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks embguy for the response. I tried to follow the steps to get into the service mode, but after trying about 10 times with different speeds, I still didn't succeed. I found another post on the internet with similar steps for canon ip4200 in which it indicated that the resume/cancel button (instead of stop/reset button) and power button should be held for long enough for the green power button to light up, so I tried to hold the buttons for very long after your step (3), but still nothing happened. Do these steps really work with MP780 or could I be missing something?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
irha said:
Thanks embguy for the response. I tried to follow the steps to get into the service mode, but after trying about 10 times with different speeds, I still didn't succeed. I found another post on the internet with similar steps for canon ip4200 in which it indicated that the resume/cancel button (instead of stop/reset button) and power button should be held for long enough for the green power button to light up, so I tried to hold the buttons for very long after your step (3), but still nothing happened. Do these steps really work with MP780 or could I be missing something?
The Canon iP4200 procedure works with most of the multifunction printer. Use the stop/reset button instead of the resume button.

May be the MP780 is similar to the MP730 which has different way to go into the service mode. But I do not have the MP780 service manual. Try the MP730 procedure and let me know the result.

MP730 Procedure:
1. Turn on the printer and wait until the printer is in standby state. i.e. you can copy or printing. My MP730 takes sometime to settle down.
2. Press MENU key. display = MENU
3. Press COPY key, then # key. display = SERVICE MODE
4. Press right arrow key until display = TEST MODE
5. Press SET key to select test mode (MP780 does not have SET key, try OK key)
5. Press 8, display = PRINTER TEST
6. Press 7, display = EEPROM. Wait until it prints the EEPROM content.

Hope this works with MP780

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nope, as soon as I hit COPY key, I get an error beep and the message INVALID KEY/SETTING is displayed. However, taking your posts as a guide, I did further searches and found the exact steps to enter service mode for MP780. Here are the steps e.g., to do a waste ink counter reset (from this post):
CANON MP 780 WASTE INK COUNTER RESET
Enter Service Mode : Menu Scan Copy Scan
Select #7 PRINTER in the service mode, and
input 0 at # 5 INK ABS CAPA.
I tried this and was able to enter service mode. I searched through several of the menus and found that, "Test Mode" -> #3 (Printer) -> #4 (EEPROM) gets me there, but nothing happens though I get an acceptance beep. If it is supposed to print it out, my guess is that the alert is blocking the print from happening (for the same reason that I can't print or copy functionality). Any other ideas to try?

I also found this post where it was mentioned that the counter can simply be reset the first time without actually cleaning the waste ink pad. May be I should try that and see if it will help me?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I had also reset the counter to clear the waste pad warning 3 months before I actually cleaned the pads.

Perhaps the message you get is related to ink leftovers forming a tar on the pads under the printhead parking position which may be hindering the initial movement.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
irha said:
Nope, as soon as I hit COPY key, I get an error beep and the message INVALID KEY/SETTING is displayed. However, taking your posts as a guide, I did further searches and found the exact steps to enter service mode for MP780. Here are the steps e.g., to do a waste ink counter reset (from this post):
CANON MP 780 WASTE INK COUNTER RESET
Enter Service Mode : Menu Scan Copy Scan
Select #7 PRINTER in the service mode, and
input 0 at # 5 INK ABS CAPA.
I tried this and was able to enter service mode. I searched through several of the menus and found that, "Test Mode" -> #3 (Printer) -> #4 (EEPROM) gets me there, but nothing happens though I get an acceptance beep. If it is supposed to print it out, my guess is that the alert is blocking the print from happening (for the same reason that I can't print or copy functionality). Any other ideas to try?

I also found this post where it was mentioned that the counter can simply be reset the first time without actually cleaning the waste ink pad. May be I should try that and see if it will help me?
From "Test Mode" -> #3 (Printer), select EEPROM CLEAR. then "1" key to clear the ink count.

Detailed instruction from the German page
http://translate.google.com/transla...essige_tinte_voll&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=
From here, click the "Step 1: Reset counters" link to veiw detailed instruction with pictures.

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
I had also reset the counter to clear the waste pad warning 3 months before I actually cleaned the pads.

Perhaps the message you get is related to ink leftovers forming a tar on the pads under the printhead parking position which may be hindering the initial movement.
If this happens to be the case, what is the solution? Challenging task of cleaning the pads?

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
embguy said:
From "Test Mode" -> #3 (Printer), select EEPROM CLEAR. then "1" key to clear the ink count.

Detailed instruction from the German page
http://translate.google.com/transla...essige_tinte_voll&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=
From here, click the "Step 1: Reset counters" link to veiw detailed instruction with pictures.
I don't have EEPROM CLEAR option, so I followed these alternative instructions, but it didn't help :(
1. Service menu: Menu -> Scan -> Copy -> Scan (one at a time in sequence)
2. Select TEST MODE
3. Select [8] ETC..
4. Select [4] EEPROM CLEAR
5. Select [1] INK COUNT
6. Press the [OK] button.
7. Press the [Stop/Reset] button (returns you to the TEST MOD sub-menu))
8. press the [ON/OFF] button (which resets the printer)