1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

MP610 trouble after inserting false ink tank - replace print head?

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by cvdwoest, May 25, 2016.

1. May 25, 2016
    cvdwoest

cvdwoest Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    canon pixma mp610
    Hi everyone here!

I've just found this forum in hopes that someone has a good advice.
    Someone dear to me tried to put a canon photo black ink tank (a narrow one) into the PGBK slot of my MP610 and apparently applied some force. Now I suspect the print head has been damaged, as the printer won't recognise even new PGBK tanks for the slot.
    Of course, the printer refuses to do anything, I just get the message "Ink tank not recognized".
    Until now, I've never had any trouble with the machine. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and if replacing the print head would help? It seems this will cost quite a bit, so I'm even considering buying a new printer.

Thanks for any advice!
    Christiaan

2. May 26, 2016
    turbguy

turbguy Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon i960, Canon i9900
    Sounds like you need a new printhead...

3. May 26, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    @cvdwoest, You have a fatal error logged into your EPROM chip and you may still be able to get rid of it, without having to buy a new head, because there’s noting wrong with the current head, this error is general and not specific.

Remover the carts and head then turn off the printer and leave it for 15 minutes without any cables attached Power/USB, the plug in the USB cable and power lead and turn on the printer without the print head installed.

Now follow the on screen message and install the print head as instructed only no carts as yet, then turn off the printer once more.

Wait two minutes to turn the printer back on and then install one cart at a time closing the top cover each time, and noting the on screen messages, do that till all the carts are installed, leave the PGBK cart till last and you may have cleared the fatal error message, good luck.. ;)

stratman likes this.
  4. May 26, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    The MP610 uses the chipped PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges. To me the error looks like there is a problem reading the chips for PGI-5 PGBK cartridges, not a print head problem, as the cartridges are not recognised. The contact springs for the chips are independent of the print head, they are mounted in the print head carriage. I suggest to check that the contact springs have not been bent/damaged. See this photo of the contact springs marked in red from an iP4200 seen from above:

iP4200 printhead carriage.jpg

palombian, stratman and The Hat like this.