MP280: refilled original 211XL cartridge, Yellow now prints as bars

amaryllis.art

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP280
So, I've been using my printer for a long time. It was a hand-me-down from my Uncle. I've printed color on it before and been fine, but we left the color cartridge empty for about a year before I bought a refill kit (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RD5Y6CP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details). I refilled the inks with about 4-ish ml each of fresh ink. All the colors seem to be flowing alright, but I'm just getting the yellow printing in bars in my images. I've done several print head alignments, turned the print quality up, and did a deep cleaning.
I really want to use my printer for making stickers, since I'm an independent artist. Please offer any and all advice.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, amaryllis.

If you want, you could print a nozzle check and then scan, crop and post it. An image of the issue with Yellow might also be good to see.

However, your printer uses the tri-color CL-211 cartridge. The print head is actually contained within the cartridge. This simplifies troubleshooting and resolution. You could try flushing and soaking the cartridge, but, based solely on what you have written, the best thing to do in the long run, and the easiest, is to buy a new CL-211 cartridge. Full function should return to the Yellow.

To decrease the risk of ink flow problems and print head clogs, print something that uses all the colors every week or two. A nozzle check will do.