MIS & ColorBat Cyan problems

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, about a month ago I was choosing between colorbat and alotofthings, but with the problems colorbat is having with his cyan and magenta inks, i opt for alotofthings (which is highly recommended by this forum, by the way ;) .)
I applaud colorbat's honesty in informing us about the problems he is having with the canon inks, but I do agree, he sounds rude sometimes, which is bad business.

Scrubking

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Might I also suggest that maybe the problem is because the wrong type of ink is being used in the printer. In other words you are using pigment ink when your printer takes dye and vice versa.

I have been looking for a site that sells pigment black ink with their BCI-3ebk carts, but most places fill these carts with dye instead of pigment. Same with the BCI-6 carts that are supposed to be dye. I would try to make sure that the ink I use is the right kind even if it is third party.

Neil said:
HOWEVER--- I've been testing their new line of inks made by a different manufacturer, and hopefully they will be replacing their previous "Rainbow" brand with these very soon- I will make the announcement when its official...

The cyans are a MUCH MUCH better match to Canon, unlike the Rainbow brand.
This results in perfectly neutral gray mid-tones in prints--- impossible and a detriment to the Rainbow colors--- the Rainbow cyan was always off a bit, and so gray colors came out green/blue tinted. This brand eliminates that problem. Blacks are black and grays are gray.

The orange clip to seal the outlet hole is also a big improvement over EVERYTHING else, including Canon carts-- this clip is easy to remove and prevents ink splattering everywhere.

Stay tuned-- I'll let everyone know when these are available at Inkgrabber-- they will be an ASTONISHING FANTASTIC BUY.

So they sent you ink to test or how do you know about this new ink??

osculate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'll certainly be looking for more posts here concerning inks and MIS in particular. I ordered BCI-6 tanks from Inkgrabber and when I had trouble with the magenta not flowing correctly (plugged filter? who knows) Inkgrabbers only response was something like "wow, that's interesting" Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I then ordered some ink from MIS and like some others at this site I'm having trouble with cyan and to some extent magenta... the rest seem just fine.

I sent a note off to MIS this morning to see if they will have some feedback:

(Before using genuine Canon ink again.)
This little problem seemed to happen when the printer (i9100) had just worked fine maybe three hours previous. I would turn the power on and do a nozzle check. The first few vertical lines of MIS magenta and MIS cyan would be missing as well as the first parts of those same color rectangles below. After one or two nozzle cleanings the upper six color test patterns would usually appear as they should be... All the vertical lines would be present. It would take more cleanings and/or a couple purging pattern printouts however for the rectangular magenta and cyan boxes to be completely colored. The problem doesn't exist if I go back to using "genuine" Canon magenta and cyan. Is there some easy solution to this? Am I possibly doing something wrong? Maybe its the MIS inks? I'd certainly appreciate any ideas.

Just venting maybe.

Sincerely,
R. Smith

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To R. Smith:

I solved the problem by mixing 50/50 with IMS-Costco ink. It will probably take a little color correcting, but it works for me.

I find the Costco ink to be good, the only problem is that their photo-magenta and photo-cyan are to rich (to dark), therefore use MIS photo-cyan, photo-magenta, yellow and black.

I also would like to mention, that if anyone is using the Canon iP5000, I find the Costco ink works great, when using the Adobe RGB98, color profile for printing, that is from PhotoShop print-preview.

I hope this is of some help.

Robert

bf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
R. Smith,

I have the same problems with the MIS cyan and photo-cyan ink as you have described. I did not get any suggestions from MIS, but they did send me replacement bottles.

I resolved my problems by following the suggestion posted from ColorBat's website regarding a viscosity problem with their inks by diluting my cyan and photo-cyan inks with 10% water.

The diluted cyan inks worked well without any noticeable color shifts. Keep in mind that when you replace the ink in your carts, you will have to work the remaining ink from the sponge area as well before the problem will be corrected.

Hopefully this will help.

Bill

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Woah... diluting with 10% water??? That's one of the craziest things I've heard from an ink seller (note: us refillers do crazier things). Did they specify distilled water, or did they simply say, "Hold it under the tap for a few seconds."?

Scrubking

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy from anyone who told me that I had to add water to their ink. Either they make a good product or they don't. You shouldn't have to fix a seller's bad ink for them.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Good point! When I called and talked to a support guy at one of the ink companies he said that he knows of some companies in South America that more or less make up a bunch of ink in a bathtub. I hear stuff like this and invision a bottle of solid ink coloring tabs that look like tums. I can imagine the instructions on the bottle saying, "Add one color tab to 20 gallons of water, mix thouroughly, package in smaller bottles immediately." ;)

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Adding distilled water to the ink is not necessarily a bad thing, after all, that is what in is mostly made up of.

If the ink is dark enough, it should not make much of a difference. However, I would probably dilute all colors, to keep it consistent.

Also I definitely would use distilled water. There are areas of the country where the water has a high calcium amount, that will clog your printhead.

Robert