MIS & ColorBat Cyan problems

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have just joined this forum.

I own a canon 860, 960 and a 5000, I am having problems with the MIS & ColorBat Cyan ink.

When I print a Nozzle Check page, the Cyan pattern is always missing the top-left corner. Also when I print a full page of Cyan, the first inch of the page is always lighter at the very left and the very right of the page.

I do not have the same problem with the original Canon ink or InkGrabber or the IMS brand from Costco.

I have noticed that when I wave the ink cartridge with MIS or ColorBat back and forth, the ink sticks to the wall of the cartridge and it takes longer to run back down, unlike the others, therefore I think it is a matter of viscosity.

I know it's not the printhead, for I have changed the slots and placed the Cyan cartridge in the PT-Cyan slot and the problem persists with the Cyan. I have also gotten the print head replaced and the problem continues.

MIS was very gracious in sending me a new bottle of Cyan but again the problem still persists.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same

Thanks in advance
Robert

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Robert,

Sorry to hear about your printhead blockage. I often wonder why some people have perfect results with ink from a company while others have problems. Maybe I should start a database where people can post basic info about their situation, Printer type, Ink supplier, cartridge manufacturer, age of ink, length of time between prints, how long they think they were printing with a blocked nozzle, etc.

The one good thing is that whenever I read these types of posts, or hear of people having problems with their print head nozzles blocking I promptly turn on my printer and run a nozzle check to (1) make sure all my nozzles are firing and (2) to give my nozzles a bit of exercise.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Rob!

Thanks for responding.

By the way your baby is beautiful.

I wonder if the electrical charge been sent to the printhead is slightly less powerful in my printer?

By the way, I hear about MIS inks been a closer match for the 960, and I agree, but, for the 5000, I find ColorBat does a better job.

Also I find the 5000 using 1/3 the ink vs the 960. The 5000 does a good job considering it uses only 4 colors. I also have learned to use only PT-Black in the BCI-6 & BCI-3 cartridges, I find I get better results with photos.

P.S.: When I run the nozzle check, the first two checks are OK, the problem develops from the third check and so on.

Thank
Robert

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
According to colorbat website, they have some problems with their Cyan and Magenta inks. It seems like their supplier messed up big time.
read the whole info here:
http://www.colorbat.com/canoninkproblems.htm
Since colorbat claims that they have the same source as the MIS brand, it is therefore not surprising they both are having the same problems.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Blaster:

I have giving up on their inks. For now I am getting around it by mixing their ink, which I have plenty of, with the Costco IMS brand, this solves the viscosity problem. It is not that difficult to use any other brand of ink, if you have calibrating programs.

I think it is very grand of ColorBat to say that there was a problem with their ink, I wonder if MIS has done the same.

As I said previous, I have had the print-head replaced and the problem persists, I do not have the problem with other inks.

Also may I add that if one has that problem with the i960, the problem will be grater with the ip5000.

I was very surprised to learn that I was the only one to experience this problem.

Thanks
Robert.

markhas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Now I know why I had ink dripping out the exit ports of my new cartridges and Hidious Hoouch from Color Blat. I just spent some time going over the BAt Cave and it's not clear if he'w solved the pboblem cause on one page he's telling about the ink supplier problem and promising to fix it and let his customers knon and then on another page he's selling a new style of foamless cartridge with the ink available since January 2005. So maybe he got the problem solved.

Rob is right the kid is a cutie.

Markhas

bf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Robert

I'm glad to have found your posting. After reading your post, I have the exact same problem with my Canon I960 printer.

I bought my printer over Xmas and start using MIS refill ink. I thought it was a clogged print head and nothing I tried worked in correcting the problem. I bought 6 new Canon carts and voila, perfect prints.

I think I'll try using InkGrabber carts since you have success with them.

Thank.

Bill.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
MIS has really destroyed their reputation on this one. At least Colorbat had the courage to inform their customers about their ink problems. MIS just chose to sell their inks even with the knowledge that their inks have problems.
I would've purchased Inks from Colorbat, and was just waiting for any new announcement on their site, but since there is nothing new for the past 11 days, I guess I'll go with alotofthings. How's the review of this ink? I've checked their customer reviews in ebay, and it is very impressive.
I would like to try InkGrabber, but their website doesn't really provide much info about their products.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From my personal experience, I find that there is very little difference in the quality of different brand of inks, with the exception of how long they will resist fading. Fading is not very important to me, as long as I have the original file I can always reprint it. The problem with fading, I find, has just as much, if not more, to do with the paper than the ink.

The type of paper one uses, will effect the color almost just as much as the ink, and sometimes if find that it is impossible to get a good print with a certain papers.

A printer that uses just four colors is very easy to calibrate, one just has to add or subtract one of the three primary colors and you will find the perfect combination.

A six or more color printer is more difficult to calibrate, due to the fact that when you subtract CYAN or MAGENTA, you are actually subtracting two colors, CYAN and PHOTO-CYAN or MAGENTA and PHOTO-MAGENTA. If the CYAN and PHOTO-CYAN are not balance perfectly, meaning that one is not darker or lighter than it supposed to be, one will never get a perfect calibration. When you remove cyan, you are removing equal amount from both, the regular and the photo color, therefore one will be corrected, but the other will be off. This could be solved by allowing one to add or subtract, each color individually.

One way to correct the problem would be to experiment with diluting the regular color vs the photo-color or vice-versa, until one gets the right balance, then you would add or subtract the color from the driver or calibrating program. By the way, I dilute with distilled water.

I have had some luck in using different combination ink from different manufacturers. Just for example, one could try to use the cyan from Colorbat and the photo-cyan from Inkgrabbers, until you get a satisfactory result. However, this type of experiment can become costly.

For those who are having problems with MIS or COLORBAT cyan ink (by the way ACSI ink has the same problem), I have solved by mixing the ink 50/50 with the Costco IMS ink, solves the clogging problem, you will get a little color shift. I also find the bottles from the Costco ink very convenient, I use them to refill the cartridges without ever removing them from the printer.

A color balancing program that I would recommend is COLORVISION PROFILERplus, do not bother with any of their other programs, I think they are a rip-off.

Another way of getting a fair idea of your ink tint, is to create in PhotoShop a proofing page. You get a clear grey photo of a person with a gradual grey background. You convert the image to greyscale and the you converted to RGB color. You repeat it 37 times, mking 6 columns.

You make each column a different tint and increase each picture in a column gradually, such as: 5m, 10m 15m and 5b, 10b, 15b, and so on, using all the six colors, CMY & RGB, but leave one with no adjustment.

After you print the test, you will be able to determine what kind of correction you need to make

I hope I did not make this to confusing.

Please excuse my spelling, I am not a native American.

Robert

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have some old MIS ink that seems to work fine. The only problem is MIS is probably not going to have the red or green inks for the i9900. Every one else has the new ink colors except MIS. They seem to favor Epson as opposed to Canon.