MIS & ColorBat Cyan problems

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Neil, have you by any chance reviewed alotofthings inks? So far, I haven't heard any major problems with regards to their inks.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, I'll leave that to others and post-- get to work!

Paulcalif

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Neil - You wrote that you use MIS ink but not their cartridges. You mentioned that you use "INKGRABBER carts or COMPUTER FRIENDS carts using the nice little blue Computer Friends Blue Plugs to seal the ink refill hole" Did you mean that you buy their pre-filled cartridges or do they sell blank cartridges? I didn't see any empty cartridges on their website.

I feel much better having read all of the posts in this thread. I've had a CIS system on my s9000 for a couple of years but it's been a constant battle. I was never sure if it was my print head or the ink cartridges. I'm abandoning the s9000 and going to the i9900 (purchased used on Ebay). I'd love to add the CIS system to the i9900.

Group,
I'd like to hear your recommendations on which cartridges to use and ink to use with the CIS system. I have quite a bit of inkjetgoodies ink and would like to use it.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When I started refilling over a year ago I misunderstood Neil's info on computer friends plugs. I thought the kit came with virgin carts and plugs. The blue plugs do work well, but they are for sealing OEM carts after you punch out the plastic ball in the fill hole. That was a year ago. I don't know about what they carry now. I did purchase an extra few sets of blue plugs from them at the time. They were not listed separately on their web site but I called and ordered them when I purchased their kit. As Neil mentioned, their ink is much more expensive than MIS, the bulk ink he recommended, so I did buy a set of inks also from MIS and that is what I've been using in my i960 printer.

Although the plugs work well, I now melt a hole with a hot paper clip wire between the fill hole and the end of the cart and use the stainless steel screw/O-ring technique. The pan head sheet metal screws are self tapping and they enlarge the new fill hole sufficiently for filling and resealing.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Paulcalif I have some friends who run a graphic artist service and they use extensively two cannons: an S600 and an IP3000. They have both been turned to CIS.

They used the OEM cartridges.

Paulcalif

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I've done a lot of reading since my last post. I think I'll use nwe Canon cartridges at first, then once they run out of ink, I'll modify them for my CIS system. I read about a proceedure for back flushing the cartridges with warm water then pulling a vacuum on them and finally drying them in the oven at a low temperature. It's actually much simpler than it sounds and it makes sense. I think the Canon cartridges are probably the best. Now, if I can find ink that works well in them, I should have a workable system.

I actually don't do THAT much printing, but I got the CIS system for $10 and I love it, that is until it started misbehaving. Since I will be moving from an s9000 to a i9900, I am going to have to add two more bottles and tubing. I'd like to find a source for the parts to be able to build one myself and replace parts as they fail. Anyone know of a source for micro tubing and fittings? I've just started looking on the internet.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The missing corner problem has nothing to do with ink BRAND-- it has to do with PRINT QUALITY settings.

For a long time I was seeing this not only in the nozzle test prints, but in some labels in which a pure color block began near the top of the print.

I.e.-- I might have a block of lettering, or a small portion of a design where a small area of pure color was set in a field-- the very corner of the design would be missing color-- it drove me CRAZY for a while.

SOLUTION-- set to a higher quality print level-- this immediately solved the problem in designs when this happened.

In terms of nozzle tet prints, this happens all the time, I just have learned to ignore it. The larger blocks of color, even with a lower quality print setting chosen, don't have this occuring, just the littel 1/4" test blocks.

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well there is a place that does sell them and the parts, but not for $10.00

http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/econoflo_build_your_crs_kits_436271_products.htm

Paulcalif said:
Thanks for the tips. I've done a lot of reading since my last post. I think I'll use nwe Canon cartridges at first, then once they run out of ink, I'll modify them for my CIS system. I read about a proceedure for back flushing the cartridges with warm water then pulling a vacuum on them and finally drying them in the oven at a low temperature. It's actually much simpler than it sounds and it makes sense. I think the Canon cartridges are probably the best. Now, if I can find ink that works well in them, I should have a workable system.

I actually don't do THAT much printing, but I got the CIS system for $10 and I love it, that is until it started misbehaving. Since I will be moving from an s9000 to a i9900, I am going to have to add two more bottles and tubing. I'd like to find a source for the parts to be able to build one myself and replace parts as they fail. Anyone know of a source for micro tubing and fittings? I've just started looking on the internet.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the missing corner problem is related to printhead wear?

I observed this occasionally on my deceased i950 from time to time but never on my i9900 which has only a fraction of printing time that the i950 saw. The same cartridges that were used on the i950 saw service on the i9900 as well. So I was just wondering.