Minor clog - should I do something or leave it alone?

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
The splitting of the lines is barely visible on the picture, I checked a test I did after cleaning number one and the lines are ok. So I guess I should have asked here first and left it alone and not done a second clean.

I did a head alignment, could that screw up the grid like that?

The text looks fine, it's a bit out of focus in places but that's the camera on my phone. I think I will just leave it, use up the ink I bought.

test4.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The splitting of the lines is barely visible on the picture
I had a good look at your PGBK nozzle image, and there are some double line in it, so I have to ask what inks you are using, because there are signs that the black nozzles are starting to warp, this doesn’t happen when you stick with OEM ink.

P.S. you can also help the printer by using quiet mode..
Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Last edited:

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
I bought aftermarket ink to test with, original ink is not an option here, original set would cost more than a new printer, it's madness. The alternative would have been to throw it in the bin.

I've used aftermarket ink on my MP610 for years and years. I've bought from the same place now so I don't think it's the ink. It was fine before my second cleaning, so I guess I've damaged it. :(
test5.jpg

I'm so happy right now, look at the difference! I followed the instructions for a manual alignment and I cleaned the pads and the plastic flaps (is that the correct term?) that removes ink from the head before placement on the pads. The plastic had large blobs of half dried ink and the pads were soaking. Rinsed them in tap water and a last rinse in demineralized water and dabbed them with a coffee filter.

test6.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, I see warping - railroad track splitting - in several vertical lines in the Pigment Black portion of the nozzle test. This is typically due to warping of the nozzles believed primarily due to too much heat at the nozzles. Ink is used to help keep the nozzles cooler, so the thought is aftermarket ink, in general, is the cause because it does not act as a coolant as well as OEM Canon ink.

If the splitting is gone after a print head alignment then excellent! If it returns then not excellent. There is a way to bypass the Pigment Black nozzles by not using Plain Paper setting and use another paper setting - one of the photo paper settings. Black will then be composed of the Dye-based ink colors and not be water resistant and may not look as crisp.

PS Please use a BRIGHT light when taking photos in the future.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
What also helps is printing with highest quality setting. Especially with this small warping. In addition I always use quiet mode and longer drying time. But in the long run, the head is dead.