MG6450 - Service mode hangs

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Do you remember which service mode operation you tried and which gave the error 002? I wonder if disabling the ink monitoring will prevent the error 009? I wonder if the two errors are related and clearing error 009 by installing another cartridge or disabling ink level monitoring will also clear error 002 and allow a normal function of the service tool?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@PeterBJ, both service tools gave exactly the same errors, I tried the 4720 first and it gave out errors first, so I saved the EPROM information and printed that from my other PC.

I them tried 4905 and it reacted exactly the same way, I could change anything I liked, but couldn’t save the changes, so I saved the EPROM information on that service tool and they both confirmed no changes had taken place, it was like read only... :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have now installed Windows XP on another hard disk for my old P4 computer. It is a minimal install with only the WXP + SP3 + chipset, sound card and graphics drivers. No anti virus program is installed and the computer is not connected to the internet with this hard disk installed.

My MG5550 printer that uses the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges has its service mode locked due to trying ST v 3400 on it. But I have tested the service tools with an MG5150 that is of the PGI-525/CLI-526 generation and an iP4600 that is of the PGI-529/CLI-521 generation. It's strange but the service tools behave differently with the two printers.

With the MG5150 the v4720 ST is fully functional and behaves like older versions of the service tool. I was also able to change the D value from 24 to30. ST4905 will only allow printing or saving of the EEPROM info. Trying other operations gave me the error code 001 (?) or caused the tool to freeze. It was very much "Read Only" as The Hat also experienced.

With the iP4600 the service tools would not run if the printer was connected via USB, clicking the ST .exe files caused no reaction. With the printer disconnected the service tools would start and I could then connect the printer that was in service mode and both service tools worked normally. I then tried to simulate a mechanical error by opening the CD tray cover as suggested by @Łukasz here. The yellow warning light on the printer started flashing and clicking Test Print in the service tool caused it to freeze. Closing the tray cover and pressing the stop/resume button turned off the warning light and after a minute or so the service tool woke up and the Test Print was printed. I didn't get the error 009 code I had expected.

It looks these service tools are temperamental or more likely that the proper procedure for their use needs to be found. I will do more testing, and continue looking for another free or cheap 550/551 printer.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Had time to dig around on the mg5620 (on accidentally updated firmware:he:he:he ) on st4905 reacts in a similar manner as experience by the @The Hat when clearing the waste pads prompting to print eeprom instead and setting the counter value does nothing, extended nozzle checks work fine though.There are mentions of other service tools on that chinese site however from the newer service tools only 4905 4904 and 3900 having downloads available.I just noticed on the site that most post that show examples of printers having their counters cleared run on earlier firmwares the same thing noted by @Pavel maybe firmware updates change the service mode that makes the service tool call up the wrong function or vice versa? Attached st4904 that i havent even scanned for viruses ; runs on a spare windows pc fine although not much tests done with the 5620 as i absentmindedly service locked it with st4720:he:hit:hit.will upload 3900 as well for those who want it maybe as soon as i complete the three part download (the site gives only a single download per day until the account has enough helpful posts to be upgraded although the sign up page is simple enough to work although the capcha maybe still be broken and make siign up impossible)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Attached st4904 that i havent even scanned for viruses
Norton's Security deleted the exe file within the zip when scanned. File marked as heuristic malware Heur.AdvML.B, a fairly nebulous designation and not necessarily malware. The dll file was not marked as malware unlike one of the other dll's from a previous Service Tool.

Only 5 instances of this result so far seen by Norton, meaning the file is either brand spanking new or extremely limited in download by the Norton community of users.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I tried the V3900.zip and Norton also zapped it as expected...:(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I've just tested the v3900 on my experimental Windows XP computer with no antivirus and no internet connection and a MG5150 of the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridge generation. The service tool behaves like v3400 with this printer. Here is a Virustotal scan of the ST3900.zip.