MG6450 - Service mode hangs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
because its designed to hack the Canon EPROM chip, my antivirus sees it as a threat.
Most likely true and reason why the explanations for the malware alerts are so generic. For me, Norton Security flagged both the EXE and the DLL found in the Service Tool zip file. Not every day I see a DLL flagged, but, why not as it is just a library of code used by the EXE to do its job. Not sure why the coder didn't compile the DLL code into the EXE to keep a one-file "elegant" solution.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The only way this tool is going to run properly is on a machine that doesn’t support any antivirus... :hu
Not necessarily true. You can temporarily disable your security application entirely or you can set it up to ignore the file(s) and therefore not delete them or impede their operation. Norton allows for both of these "solutions" which can be initiated from the pop up alert window generated by Norton when it finds something real or potentially bad.

However, this will leave you open to infestation, so, either run the file(s) in a sandbox or, better yet, a virtual machine to test. Like @PeterBJ said, another choice is if you have a standalone computer that is neither connected to the internet nor networked with your other computers and is void of any and all personal data.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can temporarily disable your security application entirely or you can set it up to ignore the file(s) and therefore not delete them or impede their operation
Ha ha, very funny @stratman, if I altered the Norton setting on the computer, my son would have me on a rack and flogged for interfering with any of the settings, I just couldn’t go there, :bow he’s the Malware BOSS... :smack

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have tried running the service tools v4720 and v4905 on my experimental old Windows XP computer. AVG Free immediately quarantined the exe files and prevented running the service tools. Some time ago I was able to run the version 4720, but it seems AVG has been updated since then.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am also interested to see just how effective one or both services tools work, I’ll try and reunite an old XP Motherboard, Ram and a hard drive together and try running them from there with a knackered iP7250...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Up-date...
OK, I managed to run these two service tools on an old XP machine, but only after I installed service pack 3, the Print driver wouldn't load without it.

The iP7250 printer appeared to go into service mode and I tried the 4720 version first, then I tried the 4905 version, both partially worked but couldn’t do much, I got error 002 and error 009 each time I tried to change and save anything.

But I could print the EPROM test page, and I suspect on older firmware it may be possible to reset the waste counter, but alas not on this printer. (Damaged print head).

As both these service tools are altered to hack into the service mode of a given printer, they won’t run on a PC that has antivirus software loaded, all dough both these files are harmless and safe to use, they are still seen as a threat...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For older versions of the service tools error code 002 means you are trying to execute a function not supported by the printer and error code 009 means a mechanical error prevents the printer from working. See this post and this. But the error codes might have another meaning for the newer service tools.

Was the iP7250 service mode locked because of trying one of the older service tools? If so did you manage to unlock it?

I will install Windows XP + SP3 on another harddisk for my old XP computer. I will install no antivirus program on that disk and use it only for service mode operations and never connect the computer to the internet with that disk installed. Drivers will then have to be transferred using a CD or USB stick.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@PeterBJ, I did have a problem with the printer in question, it was out of cyan ink and therefore wouldn’t print (error 009), but I didn’t really need to print at that point, and I usually only print to confirm later that the reset of the ink waste was successful.

I didn’t quite understand why I got the error 002 because the printer had entered service more so I expected all the functions to work with these new service tools, it’s likely that most of the other functions were still been blocked by the EPROM. (Limited access)

There’s no real point in trying these two new service tools if you can’t get your printer into service mode in the first place, if that happens then you'll get error 005 or 006...

Latest posts