MG6450 - Service mode hangs

Pavel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1
Hi,

I'd like to share some of my findings with regard to service mode operations on CLI 551/251 generation of printers.

I have tried to use service mode on 3 representants - MG5650, IP7250, MG7150. All 3 entered service mode after "standard" 5 click sequence - no problem with that.

1) My first try was on MG5650 with updated firmware using v3400 service tool -> printer locked, not possible to turn it off, I had to pull of of the socket. Service mode not available anymore.

2) Then I dowloaded v4720 service tool, which obviously has more functions and is more up to date (about info says "Canon XXX-2015") and tested on IP7250 with original firmware - THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM !!! - several function were tested, including waste pad reset. So no special magic was needed, just newer Service tool and original firmware

3) I tested the same v4720 tool on MG7150 with updated firmware - Error 005 (this printer is not compatible with service tool) and again the only way to continue was to pull the printer off the wall socket. And again - no service mode anymore.

So it really confirms, that Canon prevents using older service tools by continuosly updating firmware in printers connected to internet. Of course you can refuse automatic udates in printer configuration, but in case you get an older printer of this generation from a "normal" user, you have the latest firmware inside with high probability - particularly in case of multifunction device with display, where Canon interactively offers new firmware to the user.

In case your printer does not want to enter service mode then it means somebody (sonner than you) already tried to play with this mode using an incorrect tool.
For the moment there is no information available how to re-enable access to service mode.
The only way around this is to dissasemble the printer, unsolder both EEPROM chips, read and store EEPROM data, solder them back. In future you can repeat the process and write previously stored data back to EEPROM once you get the message that waste pad is full. Of course this is not a solution for everyone, you have to have some knowledge, skills and tools to do it properly. And it will take some time.
As I don't like to give up easily I might go this way in future, I will post the results in case I really decide to do it.

Pavel

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Canon Service Tool v4720 set off both Malwarebyte as a "hacktool.agent" and Norton Security as generic trojan, respectively. I did not scan the files on VirusTotal since they were deleted by the security app.

This may represent a false positive. Forewarned is forearmed.

Pavel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1
I did a check at virustotal today - the result was something like 23/57.
My up-to-date ESET NOD32 Antivirus is OK with this file.

Anyway, the decision to try it it is up to everybody... To be on a safe side, you can always use a separate Windows install or virtual machine for such kind of work.
The fact is, that the waste pads were succesfully resetted.

Pavel

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anyway, the decision to try it it is up to everybody...
@Pavel, thanks for the service tool file, but I too got bumped by Norton twice, so no it won’t run on my system either, I can’t use it because Norton deletes the file each time I try to run it... :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Canon Service Tool v4720 set off both Malwarebyte as a "hacktool.agent" and Norton Security as generic trojan,
I’ve had another look at this service tool V4720, from what I can see there’s nothing wrong with it, but because its designed to hack the Canon EPROM chip, my antivirus sees it as a threat.:smack

The only way this tool is going to run properly is on a machine that doesn’t support any antivirus... :hu

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
stumbled on a newer ? service tool v4905? from a chinese printer site that from the looks of it has been modified (similar person that released the 3600 as QQ matches ?): http://bbs.inknet.cn/thread-595804-1-1.html although it has a few new buttons on it.I haven't tested it though apart from a clean scan of windows defender .
upload_2017-4-13_5-18-59.png

upload_2017-4-13_5-19-26.png

Attachments

• st4905.zip
    308.1 KB · Views: 2,732

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the new version of the service tool :thumbsup. How did you manage to download it from the Chinese site? Google translate suggests that you need to log in or sign up with the site to download.

I tested the file with AVG Internet Security and Malwarebytes Antimalware. AVG found nothing but MBAM found a HackTool Agent. I sent the file to Virustotal for a scan and 12 out of 59 scanners found something wrong. Link to the Virustotal scan here. The service tool might be harmless, it could be flagged dangerous because it is designed to hack into the printer, as explained by @The Hat .

For testing it might be a good idea to use an experimental computer with no personal info or use "Sandboxing".

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried the new 4905 Service Tool by @James Michael L. Acierto, and it got zapped on my system as I expected it would, there’s no point in me try to get it to work because all my PC’s are wrapped up as tight as a duck’s ass...:hu

This is the only sure way to run the Exe File... ;)
For testing it might be a good idea to use an experimental computer with no personal info or use "Sandboxing".