MG6450 - Service mode hangs

Szines

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6450, HP DeskJet 1015
Hello!
I have a Canon MG6450 All-in-one. After a year it started to show that the waste ink tank is almost full. Ok, it continued to work. But then, after a cartridge refill it stopped with the 5B00 error, asking me to go to a service. Unfortunately all the device became unusable - I cannot scan with it.
Searching on the web I have found that this error is a full waste ink tank error, and also that it is necessary to reset the waste ink counter. I have found on a german site the steps for IP7250, because it uses the same printhead, so it might be the same printing system. Then I founded here too same kind of instructions. On an XP I have run the Service tool, entered in Service mode the printer. The german site suggested firstly to print out some information from the EEPROM and doing the reset after. I started so, but the Canon Service Tool hanged on the information printing. I waited, nothing happened. I had to kill the Canon Service Tool. Restarting it, the Service Tool showed an error, the same when the printer is connected in normal mode and not in Service Mode. Then I stopped the printer and retried to enter into the Service Mode again. But I could not anymore. If it is turned on normally, shows the same error code, but when I try to enter into Service Mode it hangs without entering. It does nothing, just the yellow light under the cancel button is on. I cannot even shut it down, I have to take out the power cord. Is there any way to do something?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a Canon MG5550 which is the same PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation as your printer and the iP7250 used by druckerchannel.de to show the ink absorber reset. I experienced exactly the same as you, the printer entered service mode, but became unresponsive after I tried to perform a test print using Canon service tool v3400. See this post.

I don't understand how the druckerchannel staff managed to reset the iP7250, there have been reports on this forum that the iP7250 could not be reset, but maybe the explanation is that the used iP7250 was one of the first printers of that model and later versions of the same printer came with another firmware version? See this post and the following post.

I have read that you need a newer version of the service tool to perform service mode operations on the newer Canon printers, the use of version 3400 or 3600 will cause the printer to lock access to service mode. It might or might not be unlocked with a newer service tool.

I have tried searching for a newer service tool, and only my security software saved my computer from malware. It is very risky to search for service tools and service manuals.

Take a look at this
. A service tool locked to one computer is 11$ and an unlocked version is 33$. The service tool does not look to support newer printers, but if you give the seller remote access to your computer, the seller offers to do a trial run to see if your printer is supported. Would you dare do that?

Here is what looks to be a free download, but I wonder what the Zip file contains? I will not download this on my main computer or on my laptop, I might give it a try with an experimental computer.

I have also read somewhere that service mode operarions can only be performed on a computer connected to a Canon server online, and that newer service manuals can only be read online from the Canon server. That could explain why no newer service manuals can be found on the web.

2manuals.com also offers a version 4200 for 30$, but I'm not going to buy that to test it on a possibly locked printer.

Does anybody have more news about newer Canon printers and service mode operations?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I downloaded the zipped Service tool v4720 from this site on an old Win XP computer. AVG free found nothing wrong in the download. After unzipping the folder contained two files ST4720.exe and Resetter.dll. I installed the MG5550 on the XP computer and tried to enter service mode which I couldn't, the yellow warning light came on and the printer was unresponsive. I tried to run the service tool but everything was greyed out. Disconnecting the printer from the mains and turning it on in normal user mode caused the service tool to identify the printer and the service tool was no longer greyed out. But clicking the test print button gave the error message "Error 006" meaning that the printer had not entered service mode. The question is now if the service tool would have worked if I hadn't caused the printer to lock service mode by trying a wrong service tool?

I also installed a printer of the older cartridge generation PGI-525/CLI-526. This printer has no problems with entering service mode and the service tool works normally with this printer.

Here is a screen shot of the service tool 4720 window and the unzipped folder with the service tool and dll file, click to enlarge:

ST4720.jpg

Does anybody know if there is a trick to unlock service mode on the MG5550?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I submitted the ST4720.exe file to virustotal.com. They had already checked the file a week ago and 24 out of 55 malware scanners found something wrong. Here is the virustotal report. I wonder why the malwarescanners that found something didn't find the same?

If you want to experiment with this service tool only do so on an experimental computer that contains no important personal info.

Szines

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6450, HP DeskJet 1015
Thank you Peter for the Service Tool and your tests too. Yes, it was the druckerchannel method. Good to know that I am not the only with this problem :), but very bad to know that this is a general one :(.
I would make tests but unfortunately as you with MG5550, me either cannot get into the Service Mode of MG6450 because it was locked(?) when I have tried first time with the Canon Service Tool v.3400.

The Hat, I wonder if they can do it. How, because if the device cannot get into the Service Mode, either there is a more tricky way to reset it, or from outside? Or they take apart the device and "shortcircuit" something inside to reset. I have looked in it, but have not found anything relevant. Or, unfortunately I can imagine and believe that it is made like this, to throw it away and buy a new one, if you did not went from the first to the Service Agent. At least to throw the mainboard. But after this experience a Canon I think I will never ever buy. I was disappointed as user experience too. It have done its job, but needed a lot of patience. Better less functions, options, etc., at least you cannot count on them. But if there are, than has to work accordingly. This problem with waste ink tank and the Service Mode locked was just the final kick in the ass.

But... I am still hoping a little bit to find a solution, because I don't like to give up so easily :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Szines, take my word for it, give up now because it can’t be done outside a Canon service agent centre.

Canon have deliberately done this to stop users from resetting their own waste ink counter, the only service tool that works is V4000, plus the agent must log onto Canon.com for a special code only after the Agent has submitted their service code first.

I am just surmising how it goes, so unless you are a Canon agent it is highly unlikely that this code will ever be freely available to you or any home user.
I also have a locked printer myself, but I still love Canon printers...:thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I installed a trial version of Malwarebytes Antimalware 3 Premium on the Windows XP computer I used for testing the service tool v4720. Neither this program nor AVG free found any infections on the machine, but this is no guarantee that it is without risk running the suspect service tool. If you want to test the service tool I still recommend the use of an old experimental computer which contains no personal info. Don't use your main computer for this.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you want to experiment with this service tool only do so on an experimental computer that contains no important personal info.
If you do not have a spare computer to try the potentially malware infected app then consider using Virtual Machine software to emulate a safe and separate virtual operating system within your actual "real" operating system. Examples include VMware, Hyper-V, and Virtualbox. You could also use the simple Sandboxie for testing though it may not afford 100% protection. A VM provides the best protection against malware. Some even run Sandboxie within the VM.

The beauty of these apps is that once you exit the app then all traces of its use - and any potential infection - are completely removed as if you never used the app in the first place. At least that is the theory.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The beauty of these apps is that once you exit the app then all traces of its use - and any potential infection - are completely removed as if you never used the app in the first place. At least that is the theory.
:hide:hide:hide :lol: