MG5320 Compatible Ink Problems

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new 250/251 printer and soon afterwards an Epson XP600. The new Canon did not impress and from a refiller's standpoint is clearly not as rewarding to own as a 225/226 based model. The Epson XP600 is a superior machine in my comparison at this point. I will soon offer full support for the XP600 after my testing is completed. The 250/251 printers can offer potentially better colors than the older models but it uses ink colors not seen in the aftermarket previously. The trick is to retain the balance and give up the added extreme colors which in normal use hardly ever matters. Someone purchasing OEM ink will be paying for the potential to obtain colors that they normally would not run into and not use. Yes, so Canon probably did increase the capability but at this stage of the game, it is to make aftermarket ink look bad not really to make superior prints.

I haven't come up with a decent inkset for the 5420 as yet..I've been busy with the Pro-100 and then the XP600. The 250/251 comes next.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling,

I avoided Epson because I read a lot of posts about clogging issues with Epson printers for the casual user. What is your experience on this subject as it relates to Epson.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
dvdit said:
^^^ I have played around with the color setting a lot and printed over 100 pages with different color setting and I can't get it right without affecting one of the other colors. I even tried many ICC profiles I have and none seem to work.
The decribed method works for ink/paper combinations which have too much colour shade, too greenish, too red etc. By changing the sliders you can get a result comparable with prints from a processing lab.

For exactly the same colours as with OEM ink you need to have a ICC profile that is made for the ink/paper combination. Just trying some existing ICC profiles won't work.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
dvdit said:
Mikling,

I avoided Epson because I read a lot of posts about clogging issues with Epson printers for the casual user. What is your experience on this subject as it relates to Epson.
Newer Epson printers can be reliable as long as you understand how they work and what is needed to keep them going. Initially they might appear to be more work than a Canon, the XP600 is special and a new animal for Epson.
In the past, Epson printers were too slow for office work but the gap with Canon has now been narrowed. The XP600 now sports ink combinations of pigment and dye similar to what the 5 tank Canons had.
Fact is one of my everyday printers is a used Epson R200 that could be dated back to 10 years and it works everyday as my workhorse. 30 seconds or 10 seconds of printing with a newer model. With modern computers, while something is printing I am doing something else so no time is wasted even with a slow printer. I can tell you confidently as each day passes , they don't make them like they used to.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I really don't care about print speed at all. But clogging issue with a print head that is built into the printer is another story.