Methods of hooking up printer to multiple computers

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Which ever method you choose to use, at least one computer has to be on, how else can you edit and send your print to the printer, Ethernet has always been the most convenient choice for multiple computer connections..

I think he means with USB the printer has to be ON, with Ethernet it can be in standby (or whatever the mode is now called by printer manufacturers) the Ethernet connection will send a wake on lan notification to the printer taking it out of standby without you having to go manually press the button on the printer.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I think step 1-5 will defeat the purpose the OP is trying to achieve, if you read the original post the issue at the moment would not be solved via steps 1-5 (IE wife having to turn on his computer and the printer).
Step 6-7 likewise would require both computers to be switched on.
Step 8-9 is the (IMO at least) the best way to do things.
Step 10-11 will not work with all printers, IF IT IS what i think you are talking about. Basically a USB network device rather than a hub. It requires the switch/converter device to see the printer correctly. If you mean just a modern USB hub then yeah as mentioned by others that can work the limitation there is cable length.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Steps 8-9 simply supplies a network port for the printer to use. Since the printer already has an ethernet port and wi-fi, the printer server serves no purpose. Also, judging from user reviews, these devices tend to be problematic.

Steps 10-11 might work, but it is an old-fashioned (and obsolete) way of doing it. It also has all the disadvantages of a USB connection that we have been discussing.

CakeHole has already dealt with Steps 1-7.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I was not aware it had its own ethernet port but you are right @ThrillaMozilla the HP 8600 does so no print server needed for the OP :) I may even pick up one of these now for basic bulk network text printing as it also has a pretty decent sized black ink cart and the printer can be had if you look around for deals and cashback offers hard enough pretty cheaply her in the UK.