Methods of hooking up printer to multiple computers

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
My wife and I use Apples and a HP 8600 office jet Pro. We are happy with this setup, but my wife has to come to my office, turn on my computer to access the printer. My computer is hooked via USB.

We are both wired to a modem so can I somehow make it so she can just print without turning on my computer?

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The HP Officejet Pro 8600 appears to be wireless ready. If you have WiFi capable computers then you could set up the printer for wireless function using the information in the User Manual under the section named Network Setup.

You could also print across the internet to your printer, ie from anywhere in the world you are connected to the internet, by setting up the Web Services function as found in the user manual.

User Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

It may be possible to purchase a print server which would let you hardwire connect both computers to the printer at one time.

Newer WiFi routers may contain a built in print server. My Netgear WiFi router has ReadySHARE Printer that allows wireless access and sharing of a USB plugged in printer. This is a great feature for those without wireless function built into their printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This Wi-Fi stuff is all way over my head and a touch unreliable for me to trust, I prefer to hard wire several of computers Via USB switches and hubs to ALL my printers seamlessly by just pressing the Scroll Lock button on which ever computer keyboard I happen to be using, just like magic but much better.

There’s no need to turn on anything.. :D

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
@stratman nice suggestion i did not even think about the device possibly having wifi built in :) As long as they have decent wifi signal to the printer your way would probably be the easiest and certainly cheapest :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
My wife and I use Apples and a HP 8600 office jet Pro. We are happy with this setup, but my wife has to come to my office, turn on my computer to access the printer. My computer is hooked via USB.

We are both wired to a modem so can I somehow make it so she can just print without turning on my computer?

If I understand you correctly, both computers are connected to a network, so all you have to do is connect the printer. You need to connect the printer and all your computers to the same network. That is the straightforward way to do it. You should not need a wireless print server or any other specialized gadget, since the printer is already network-ready.

The printer can use either an ethernet connection, or a wireless connection if you have a wireless router. The wireless connection is more convenient because you don't need a cable. Follow the directions in the printer manual.

I assume your computers are already connected to the network. If not, you will need to connect them. Apple computers have very good directions on how to do that.

I do not suggest that you try to set up your printer for remote access from outside your home ("Web Services"). You don't need that. Besides, it adds complexity, and it's a security risk.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
It puzzles me so many people still have problems with home networks, but I have my own frustrations too.

The "modem" TS mentions is most probably a router installed by the phone or cable company that serves as internet gateway and DHCP server and has some physical network ports and Wifi.
This router can be accessed by the user (and should be) to define your own network.
Wifi is by far the cheapest and easiest way, the only problem is the limited reach. Phone companies have the nasty habit to place the router where the cables enter the house, as the basement or the garage. Wifi does not pass concrete ceilings so many people have to buy Wifi extenders and other tricky gear to solve this (all these boxes cost money to buy and consume power).
When a new provider installs his stuff I give him a roll of network cable so he can place the router at a central place in the house (my wife doesn't like the cables :)).
Anyway you need a good wifi quality all over the house and the terrace, so if necessary a secondary router is the best solution.
Printers are on a fixed place best near the router. If the printer has a cabled network connection it can be wired to the router to function as network printer.
Any Wifi printer can do the same much easier.
When there is only an USB connection the cheapest way is printer sharing (on a good old Windows domain or workgroup), but this supposes the computer is powered on.

I do not see the reason myself to go around the world to cross the street and use web services to connect to a printer from a Windows or Apple computer, but for an Android or Apple phone or tablet this is the straight way, so why not from your PC ?

Times change.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Phone companies have the nasty habit to place the router where the cables enter the house, as the basement or the garage.

The computers are connected to the network, so I assume it shouldn't be a problem to connect the printer either. With my AT&T service there's some sort of box in the basement that I don't touch, but the router is located right next to the computer. Unless we hear otherwise, maybe it's best not to discuss all the possible difficulties, such as cable not being long enough, etc.

I do not see the reason myself to go around the world to cross the street and use web services to connect to a printer from a Windows or Apple computer, but for an Android or Apple phone or tablet this is the straight way, so why not from your PC ?

Times change.

Er, the OP has no use for printing away from home unless has VERY long arms and can reach all the way home to pick up the printout.

All computer devices such as printers are riddled with security holes. Setting a Web Server requires what is informally known as "punching a hole in the router". It gives unnecessary access to your home network from the outside. There are criminals out there trying to break in. A simple rule of thumb for security is, if you don't need it and don't know how to administer it, don't install it. Besides, as you said, just connecting the printer to the network is the simple, straightforward way to go. Sometimes security is as simple as just not leaving the door open.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I have two photography printers, and have now decided to do all my printing on the 3880 and that does not have wifi at all. Sadly due to the fact that no one makes a female to female USB I have to use one or the other, or install yet another hub.

I just want to spit the dummy at cable manufacturers for not doing a female to female connection.:he:he:he..........:lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry 3dogs but they do..!

USB SEXS.jpg