Methods of hooking up printer to multiple computers

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Yep USB adapters and cables of varying types are available for less than £1 on Amazon, or less than $2.

Though for anyone with multi computers in the house using the printers built in networking abilities (Doh i still can not believe i did not check first way back in the thread if the HP8600 did) is probably the best way to hook multi systems up. And if wifi is poor in your home or the printer has no networking functions than a cheap Network Print Server adapter like i mentioned in the second post is the way to go.

Running a Mass of USB cables to all your devices will work obviously but its a mess and USB does not like more than about 5 Metre lengths (10 if you are lucky and get a decent AWG24 based cable and have no interference). After that you have to amplify it in some manner (either hubs on inline USB amps) A single cable from your router to the printer or to a Print server device is far cleaner.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the site I use, you never know you might get one with Amazon in Auss.
http://www.lindy.ie/usb-adapter-usb-a-female-to-b-female-p6020

I use all USB cabling to connect my printers because I don’t like Wi-Fi or using any network, it can take ages to shut down the computer when they are all linked up, but not with USB.

Well that’s my reasoning and USB have always been trouble free..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat, I don't understand your problems with Wi-fi or networking at all. There must be something wrong with the way you are doing it, or with some equipment or something.

I have a string of self-powered USB repeaters for my Canon 9500 because there's no easy alternative, but length is VERY limited, multiple connections would be a nightmare, and I'm not so sure USB isn't sucking too much juice from USB ports.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
The Hat, I don't understand your problems with Wi-fi or networking at all. There must be something wrong with the way you are doing it, or with some equipment or something.

I have a string of self-powered USB repeaters for my Canon 9500 because there's no easy alternative, but length is VERY limited, multiple connections would be a nightmare, and I'm not so sure USB isn't sucking too much juice from USB ports.

Yep long USB cables, repeaters etc is the wrong way to do things, networking a printer is the right way and it should not affect windows shut down times. Where i work there are about 20 people in one department that all use a 15+ year old HP Laserjet to print to which is setup via a Ethernet Printer server of similar vintage.

I can not even fathom the nightmare connecting all the computers up to USB hubs etc for printer use would be.

I spose in most homes with just 2 or 3 machines its not as much as an issue and USB can work but its not the way i would recommend.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I used to have network connections but as I said shut down was a S l o w process which became a pain in the butt for me so I switched over to all USB connections.

I have four computers that can print to all 10 of my printers and all the printers can print the same documents or separate documents at the same time depending on what and when I need to print, and two of these computers have access to the internet two don’t, using broadband over power lines.

This setup has worked for me far better than when they were all networked and coupled together, yes there is a gaggle of cables and switches but this system works every time with no confusion, except when changing to a new O/S.

There were two many anomaly’s between the Ethernet and USB connections and there were times the system simply bogged down, or lost a connection and that’s not what you want when your trying to print something important.

For multiple computers in a room full of dozens of people printing to a single network the Ethernet cable system is king, but could you imagine the confusion if these people were trying to print while using Wi-Fi, that company would go broke, its horses for courses.

When you have multiple printers and you need direct access to each one the most practical route is by way of USB, ask @jtoolman which method he currently uses.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
@The Hat when you had them all networked and shutdown was slow were the printers connected direct to your router? It may have been taking ages to shutdown because of the router. Amazingly something as simple as a network switch can often cure it.

If it was many, many, many years ago and you were using a network hub rather than a switch, that right there was likely the issue as those never supported networking protocols like flow control and often only ran at 10Mbps MAX. You probably also experienced issues when trying to print from more than a single computer at a time, with print jobs reporting they were queued but never taking place and you having to restart the printer and possibly the computer to get things back to a working state.

I personally think you are totally bonkers ;) running 10 printers over USB, but hey if it works for you then i guess its a good kind of bonkers :D

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have a string of self-powered USB repeaters for my Canon 9500 because there's no easy alternative....

I connect via a 5m powered USB cable a PRO9500, an IX6550 and a scanner with each 3m ordinary cable (the ones delivered with the 9500 seem to be good quality).
Works fine as long as I am the only one using these devices from my desktop only.

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark
I cast my vote, if such are allowed, with ThrillaMozilla's post.
Depending of physical placement, Ethernet has always been my way of connecting computers and other devices. Of course, since I started in 1992 with networking, Ethernet made sense since USB, and WiFi, were not around.
One thought; if using USB then the computer connected to the printer must be ON. If using Ethernet then that is NOT so. I'm going to assume that the OP's connections are to a modem with a 4 port router integrated into it (may be a bad assumption). Therefor ThrillaMozilla's suggestion of using Ethernet connections makes best sense (IMNSHO).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Which ever method you choose to use, at least one computer has to be on, how else can you edit and send your print to the printer, Ethernet has always been the most convenient choice for multiple computer connections..