Method of purging cli-8 and pgi-5bk tanks?

jrego7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Searched the forums but couldn't find a method/hardware guide. Would appreciate if someone could direct me or fill me in. I believe my cartridges need a purge as they have never had one with so many refills.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Look at the thread for purging the bci-6 carts. Same techniques for the cli-8 and pgi-5bk carts. You will see several different devices people have fabricated.

jrego7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I must be blind. Can't seem to find the thread. Who is the author of the thread?

jrego7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:) thank for all the links! After reading I got to shopping and crafted my setup. :D
img1244g.jpg

img1245b.jpg

I've been using metal screws for the longest time now and finally decided it was time to end that mess! There was alot of rust sediment building up.. :( Wish I found this site a year ago. Probably would have saved my printhead from my MP500 and a few canon cartridges aswell. Took me a few hours of shopping to find everything I needed. But in the end it was all worth it! :) The only thing I messed up on was the larger hose I bought 1/2" ID hose when I was suppose to get 5/8" ID for the PGI5BK carts. :(

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Is it possible to purge these tanks when using the German refill method?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Nice work :)
Try heating the 1/2" tubing with a hair dryer and then push it onto the larger cart exit port while it is pliable.
You should only need one hole on top. I place mine above the reservoir and make it 1/8" dia so Hobbicolors 1/8" silicone plugs will fit correctly. No more tapping and screws :)
Use an 1/8" brad-point bit to cut a clean hole. This type of bit is unusual to some and you may have to search a bit for it. It will say brad point on the package.

Mikling's PrecisionColors offers a 5/32" dia silicone plug that will fit the original Canon fill port when the ball is removed. No drilling req'd.
These plugs may only come in kit form so be prepared to buy ink if you want the plugs....and no worries here, these two inks are amongst the very best available.

jrego7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tried the blow dryer method. It does work well with cold water only. If I use warm or hot water the tension is to great around the hold and the heat just makes it easier to pop off. I'm on my way out to find some 5/8" tubing and a hose/barb brass fitting. Plus I just got my canon redsetter today. :)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
alexandereci said:
Is it possible to purge these tanks when using the German refill method?
It is actually the same method. The only thing do is to refill the ink compartment completely with water -using the same German Durchstich method- and as much water into the compartment till the sponge becomes oversaturated. Now flush the cartridge as described. The stained water will flow out from the breathing hole and the durchstich hole near the bottom. After that you withdraw the water by blowing over the vent hole so the water is released from the sponge and the water is slowly sipling into the sponge from the ink compartment. This will do the trick.