Make ink thicker?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho, Another thing, when I refilled the cartridge, I only refilled 75%. And I would roughly say 30% out of the 75% got absorb into bottom sponge and the top sponge probably got a bit of the 5% of ink. While the remainly 40% is left at the ink reservoir tank.

Do you think you could kindly take picture of your refilled Black Pigment Cartridges (both side) so that I can take a look at your cartridge where the sponge that has not been overfilled.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
There are two layers of sponge in Canon OEM ink cartridges. I think the upper half of the sponge always look lighter even if it's over saturated. The cartridge on the top of the glass has little or no white. So it looks oversaturated to me. I think we can sit behind the screen forever trying to determine if the cartridge is overfilled. But you can also determine that in seconds by using the trick I suggested. Why not just take the cartridges out and simply blow air into the vent to expell some ink out of the sponge then try some printing again? You can blow out all the ink in the sponge if you want. The print head will stop its running nose instantly. It fixed my printer that way. I never have the problem again.
Didn't you see the white on the other side of the sponge? And how could I possible have overfilled when I only injected 75% which is lesser than the normal refill for the cartridge?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I looked at both photos. One of them showed no white. Until you explained I did not know they are the same cartridge. I am now out of suggestions. Please keep us posted when you eventually find the answer. I will watch this thread for the answer.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
I looked at both photos. One of them showed no white. Until you explained I did not know they are the same cartridge. I am now out of suggestions. Please keep us posted when you eventually find the answer. I will watch this thread for the answer.
I will update in a week or 2 later. I am now pretty upset with oversea seller that has gone missing and won't response in any form of contact and even hanged up on my international call which you had also read in my other thread on the weight of cartridge. So in the meanwhile, I got no 'peace of my mind' to any printing/experiment/test.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
That certainly did not help. The first time I got the problem (streaking and very bad banding all over) I could not figure out what was going on. I gave up refilling completely and returned to use OWM cartridges only until I found the simple fix from this forum almost a year later. But of course the problem you have may not be the same that I had.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
lin said:
The absorber pad at the right side where the printhead usually parked itself during power down is damped with ink. I could pick up inks with my fingers from the absorber pad. As for the sponge right underneath the printhead when the printhead slide across during printing, it's dry. There is no ink found at this big rectangular sponge.
It's normal for the "parking pad sponge" to be "damp" with ink and to transfer ink to your fingers when you touch it. The problem occurs when it becomes "wet" (saturated) with ink. As a test, you might want to remove some of the ink as described here.

The full width sponge absorbs the overspray from printing borderless - it does not touch the print head and should be dry unless you do a lot of borderless printing.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
lin said:
The absorber pad at the right side where the printhead usually parked itself during power down is damped with ink. I could pick up inks with my fingers from the absorber pad. As for the sponge right underneath the printhead when the printhead slide across during printing, it's dry. There is no ink found at this big rectangular sponge.
It's normal for the "parking pad sponge" to be "damp" with ink and to transfer ink to your fingers when you touch it. The problem occurs when it becomes "wet" (saturated) with ink. As a test, you might want to remove some of the ink as described here.

The full width sponge absorbs the overspray from printing borderless - it does not touch the print head and should be dry unless you do a lot of borderless printing.
Hi Grandad, I ever tried before washed the absorber pad sponge under running water, shake off the excess water and gently pad the absorber sponge dry. Then I replaced the absorber pad back to the suction unit. Print a few pages and remove the printhead to examine the base and the result of the base of printhead still looks like those in post #6 & #8. That is, it's runny ( a bit liquidity at the base such that it spread across the base. Not dripping though).