magenta coloured sponge in grey 226 cartridge, how queer!

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Tudor said:
a cli-226 can't weight 20g and have no ink in the ink chamber. Are you sure it's not the pgi-225? It's 20g just the cartridge, without the clip, right?
Positive its the 226 as its the magenta, the sponge has taken every drop out of the reservoir as I syringed it in, I can see clearly through the hole in the top of the cart right through the prism in the bottom.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Either you weighted the cartridge with the clip and rubber on, or your scale is defective.
A cli-226 completely full goes to 21,5g. That means the sponge is full of ink and there is about 4ml in the ink chamber. You can't get 20g with an empty ink chamber.

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Also, each cartridge has had 6cc's of ink syringed in, as marked on the syringe, they are all weighing the same.

So I am in a catch 22 now, the prism needs to be covered....but I know I mustn't over-fill the cartridge either..

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you weigh the cartridge with or without the clip and rubber?
What type of scale do you use?

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Tudor said:
Do you weight the cartridge with or without the clip and rubber?
What type of scale do you use?
yes with the clip and rubber band and I have zero'd and accounted for that, the scale is digital but only weighs down to a gram, not 0.010g

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I guess it's a kitchen scale... It doesn't measure correctly such a small weight.

Put the clip on the cartridge, close the vent with some tape or modeling clay, take out the plug and fill the ink chamber. Plug the ink chamber, remove the clip, remove the clay/tape from the vent and let it sit for a couple of minutes. If it's overfilled it will drip until equilibrium is reached.

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Ok so we are up and running! had a flow problem with the cyan and fixed that by blowing into the vent, the ink outlet port on the cart was partially dry...note to self "make sure outlet port sponges are fully saturated before insertion into printer"
After fixing that nozzle tests where perfection again.

I imagine that I'm not going to have any issues with empty tanks on the second refill of these cartridges as the sponges are fully saturated now.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is how your cli-226 looks on the inside:

<--- click to enlarge.