Magenta banding in Photo RPM after "warm-up"

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
I'm getting the 'Refine screening pattern' option as well with the L805 driver, the tank system version of the P50.

View attachment 10226

- The printhead, nozzle plate would touch the paper if the platen gap is too small

- Color adjustments - that's a work around - experimental - try it - it's usefulness depends on the printer driver

- Maintenance prints are one thing - do you see a difference in a small actual image print with bidirectional printing - high speed - on or off ?

So it seems the P50 and PX720 driver are slightly different, then. I have not checked their uni versus bidirectional printing performance yet. With the R3000 I can see absolutely no difference between high speed on or off.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have not checked their uni versus bidirectional printing performance yet. With the R3000 I can see absolutely no difference between high speed on or off.
It's good to hear that the R3000 prints just perfect - but I thought that a PX720 is causing the problems ?

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's good to hear that the R3000 prints just perfect - but I thought that a PX720 is causing the problems ?

Correct, and I am not concerned about minute differences between printing modes when there are major (hopefully ink-related) issues. The scans from the PF adjustment menu are basically single-pass prints, so that's as unidirectional as one can go. I did just do a short test and both uni and bidirectional printing in Photo RPM mode show similar magenta stripes.

I guess new inks are the next thing to test...and this might take a while :)

Thanks for all the advice, ISF!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I tend to think that the banding problem is more a mechanical issue - tolerances whatever, and less ink related. But you can find it out - let us know.

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Let us know.

It turned out to be an issue related to ink viscosity. Adding 10% glycerol to the magenta ink solved the problem completely :) When the printer is in standby, the head is parked right next to the wireless module which gets relatively warm. The increase in temperature must have pushed the ink viscosity just below what the printhead can tolerate.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It turned out to be an issue related to ink viscosity. Adding 10% glycerol to the magenta ink solved the problem completely
Desiccated or biological contaminated inks?

You mentioned considering getting new inks. How old are your Inctec inks? How do you store them and in what container?

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Desiccated or biological contaminated inks?

You mentioned considering getting new inks. How old are your Inctec inks? How do you store them and in what container?

The inks were bought mid 2017 and opened later that year. They were stored inside their original 100ml bottles inside a cupboard in my office. Desiccation would increase viscosity (glycerol and other humectants don't really evaporate), so that would not be it. Biological contamination could be possible, although I do not see anything floating around in there.

The important thing is that the printer is doing fine, that was my main worry.