Macbook pro doesn't connect to IPF6400

Felix H.

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF6100
Thans @The Hat . I will do that. The irony this is though that the printer is working on the computer with the "messy" printer section, with all the other former printers that no longer exist. And on the one without other (former) large format printers, it does not work...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Felix H. Often what happens with the Mac is, if it installs properly it just works, but if there is an issue with the driver, the Mac O/S wont install it and won’t tell you why, but a new install might uncover the underlying problem..

Felix H.

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF6100
I re-installed the driver and the print plugin of the IPF6400 om my new mac. And it still does not work.

When I try to print with the print plugin, the file won't even be transferred to the printing queue, it does not show in the job list. When I try to print directly from the menu File > Print..., then the file will show up in the printers job list (print queue), so there seems to be some communication between the macbook and the printer. But then nothing happens, and the imagePROGRAPH Printmonitor is not responding any more.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 15.28.34.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 15.29.40.png

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Have you the Apple Care support for the new Macbook? If you have I would give them a call and explain what is happening. You may just get a good support technician that has seen the issue before and can get you to do stuff when on the phone or even use Team Viewer to work remotely on it. It is just a great pity that it is not a smaller printer, then you could have taken it to an Apple store and had them look a the problem.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Felix H. I’m not quite on the same page as you, but why do you need the print plug in to use the Ipf6400, can you not just install the ipf6400 print driver and try printing with that, but the other problem you may be having is the printer is not set correctly for the print job in hand.

You are trying to print 20160415-FH-A70X1199_HIRES_A3_print tif, BUT the default printer:- Canon iPF6400 is set to A4 size only, try printing something that is a standard A4 size first and then see if the printer responds...

shhh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF 6400
@Felix H. I think we have the exact same problem with our IPF 6400. How did you solve it?

RSF82

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10, HP LaserJet 404
I am a total newbie so this is not an expert opinion, however, I had this problem a number of years ago after updating a Mac OS. My printer would no longer operate. I called Apple, they said call Canon. I called Canon and basically they told me "too bad, so sad". The driver would not work with the new operating system and there would be no updates so that it could do so. I am currently running Sierra and have a Canon 9000 Mark II I understand that once I update to a more current OS the 9000 Mark II will no longer work. So you might call Canon to see if someone there can tell you if this is the case. It may be the reason your printer is working on the computer with the older OS. Hope this helps.

wdt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various brother
You do know that Apple uses CUPS? (except ipads,iphone, use airprint)
If you want to know MORE of what is happening.....
For web interface (run in terminal,, one time only)
sudo cupsctl WebInterface=yes
Close terminal
webrowser,,.....localhost:631 (colon, not semi-colon)
click printer, try to print test page, read error log,, etc

shhh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF 6400
Yes, of course, wdt. But I was interested in Felix' solution.