1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Assistance needed - Epson 1430 sudden complete clogging or air in print heads
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Macbook pro doesn't connect to IPF6400

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by Felix H., Sep 10, 2019 at 6:38 PM.

1. Sep 10, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    Felix H.

Felix H. Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    IPF6100
    Hello!

I recently bought a used IPF6400 and have now tried to connect it to my Macbook Pro (2017, High Sierra 10.13.6, 2,8 GHz, 16 Mb memory..) without success. I have installed the driver (version 4.80) and the photoshop plugin (which for some reason I cannot find in the newly bought Photoshop CC2019). I look in Photoshop in the "Export" and "Automate" section of the "File" menu where I think the plugin should be located but no luck.

The location or whereabouts of the plugin is currently not my main concern, my question is rather, what I am doing wrong, why the printer does not print at all. Somehow, the computer does not seem to communicate with my computer (but it prints very nicely from and old 2011-macbook pro, then without the plugin but from the print menu in photoshop.

I attach some screen shots to show what the settings tell us. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best wishes . /Felix

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 19.00.00.png
    The printer shows a green light. Does that necessarily mean that my computer recognises that it is connected to the IPF6400?

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 18.49.34.png
    When I go to the settings, it says that the printer is NOT connected (compare with the image above).

20190910_192139.jpg
    My connection to the IPF6400. The macbook has USB-C ports and I use an adapter to connect the USB-A cable. I have tried tree different adapters and two different cables.

Attached Files:

2. Sep 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Felix H.

Printer Model:
    IPF6100
    NOTE: I found the photoshop plugin now. But the printing problem remains. :(

3. Sep 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    Are you using the same driver Versions for both Mac’s, and did you use the driver from Canon or did you let Mac install the driver…?

4. Sep 10, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    Felix H.

Printer Model:
    IPF6100
    Yes, I think so, at least the same versions. 4.80. However the old mac hast Yosemite 10.10.2. I downloaded the drivers from Canons website. Their website apparently detects the OS version on the computer and shows the recommended driver.

5. Sep 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM
    The Hat

Printer Model:
    This driver as shown is Version 2-92…

Try using the same driver on both machines and see what happens.. If it’s not going to work then it wont install.. you can't harm your Mac or printer..

[​IMG]

6. Sep 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    Felix H.

Printer Model:
    IPF6100
    You are right, the image shows version 2.92 which is misleading. However, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer tonight (after I have taken the screenshot of the driver version) and it has now version 4.80. And it still does not print.

Do you think it has something to do with the driver rather than anything else?

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 22.45.40.png

Attached Files:

The Hat likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2019 at 1:05 AM
    Redbrickman

Redbrickman Printer Master

Printer Model:
    MB5150
    I'm guessing there is still a hardware problem somewhere even though you have tried several adapters and cables. Is there any other device (another printer or similar) you could put at the end of the cable where the printer is just to see if that device is fully functional and prove the cable connections work in both directions?

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  8. Sep 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    The Hat

Printer Model:
    This screen shot you provided shows your printer connection to one of your computers, so does the other computer show exactly the same printer condition too…?

[​IMG]