Looking for the best aftermarket K3 for Epson Pro 4800/R2400

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Hi all, I was reading (in many post) about the different test on the aftermarket K3 available but to be quite frankly I'm now more confused or should I said undecided than before I started reading. :he I have been using Epson OEM K3 on my printers but for a hobby is kind expensive especially if you get a clog, all the ink that is used to clear a clog. Even with that issue I still love the prints produce by these printers. I have read about IS inks (which I have used in the past) OC and the IRK4-nano. My question is, which is the best combination to be used on Epson Luster photo paper. I know that with the use of aftermarket inks I will loose some of the quality found on the OEM K3 but my only concern is which of the aftermarket will produce less bronzing when combined with the Epson Luster paper.
Your input is really appreciated.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
CONE inks have the least amount of gloss problems and bronzing problems. all other have it at varying amounts.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Thanks jtman for your quick response, to be honest I was trying to avoid the CONE inks do to price it has no real benefit to me since you can get the same amount of OEM inks (out of ebay of course) for maybe a bit more. I guess I should of say which one of the following in inks IS, OC or IRK4-nano will give me the best result or a combination of them. Thanks a lot

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I am con only speak for IS and OCP. Both magentas have awful gloss characteristics. Great for matte media.
Never use IRK-4
Joe

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Thanks Joe, ok I guess I will stick to the OEM Magentas since you can get them for a decent price on ebay. With the issue of the magentas out of the way, in your opinion which one do you think will give the best results for the money?
Tito

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OCP is great for matte media. As long as you are getting their "Newer" Magenta. Can not beat OCP's their extremely low price! With a custom profile you will get excellent results.
Then IS. Same issue with gloss differential and bronzing on some papers. Very well matched to OEM K3.
Higher cost.
I've never used IRK-4
CONE is the most expensive but their ink is claimed to be microencapsulated as are OEM Epson. The gloss is actually a tiny bit better than EPSON.
If you can get PEM for a good price on ebay then go for it.
I've bought a couple of T-58 cart sets for about $29 - $35 per cart. Including free shipping.
Joe