Looking for an appropriate CISS system for Epson Stylus NX420

Buddyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have just purchased an Epson Stylus NX420 all in one. I can't believe how small the cartridges are compared to my old HP PSC750, and how expensive they are to replace. There are four of them! Anyway, I would like to purchase a reasonable CISS for it. The Epson web site for that model says the ink is pigment based, so I will need that type. I have read a fair bit on the web about different systems on offer. Some are ready filled, some are empty, some need batteries (for whatever reason), some have an automatic chip reset, some a manual chip reset. I have even seen one CISS that says the purchaser has to use the chips off the cartridges that came with the printer. That sure scared me.

I am looking here for a recommendation of a reliable system from a reliable supplier. A system that gives no reset or recognition problems is a must as those issues drive users over the top. Good customer support would be nice too. Much of what I have read from suppliers is in dreadful English, often as clear as mud. I am in Canada so would prefer to buy from a North American source. I really like the printer but need to resolve this ink issue.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have used rihac.com.au for my canon and epson printers tx610fw, I believe they now have a CISS for NX420- Austalian model. They are a bit more expensive than ebay suppliers, but their products are well tested and they give good support. I realise they are not in Nth America. Not sure if they sell pigment inks for this epson as they can be problematic for CISS, an email to them would certainly answer your questions re cost availability etc. My only association with them is as a satisfied customer.

Buddyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, ocular. I have since purchased and installed a CISS system. It was advertised on eBay in Australian dollars. I paid for it to a seller in Britain and, when it arrived, it was made in China. It seems that just about all these CISS systems are made in China. In the end I purchased a supply of ink from a supplier in Toronto, Canada. I went with dye based ink because the feedback I got indicated that dye based is far less likely to have clogging problems than pigment, and I only use the printer for general home use.

In the end I am delighted with my CISS set up. I now print as much as I want, high quality prints, full colour, and never concern myself with the cost, it being so small. I got the CISS from promiseink, and the ink from http://stores.ebay.ca/precisioncolors I have been very impressed with the quality and the responsiveness from both sellers. They answered all my questions and were very encouraging for a newbie. The installation even had support videos for installing and priming the system.

One word of advice to others. Installation involves breaking away plastic on the printer using needle nose pliers. Though that works, a far better method is to cut away the plastic with a soldering gun - far less stressful on the machine and the installer, and much neater too. My whole installation and ink (enough for about three years) cost less than $100 Cdn. One set of miniscule ink cartidges costs close to that and would last me less than a month at the rate I now print. :)

Buddyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been using this same system and set-up for five years now. The printer is not the best so I no longer do colour photo printing but, in general, I print off absolutely as much as I want, when I want, in full colour. That first purchase of ink cost me about $30 Cdn and I am just coming to the end of it. I cannot imagine what ink cartridges would have cost for the same amount of printing.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for your report. :) If you include the cost of the CISS then the annual cost is 20 $ Cdn.

You cannot buy many new OEM cartridges for that amount of money. That amount is approximately the cost of one Canon OEM cartridge in Denmark. If I didn't refill I couldn't afford to print as much as I do.

Last edited: