Looking for a printer for duplex printing 4x6 color postcards

srtrs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922
Hello. I am looking for a printer that can handle auto duplexing 4x6 post cards. Probably 100lb weight / 270 gsm. Can’t be wider than 0.016” thick per USPS Specs.
I’d hope to not have to hand feed them and be able to have a large feed and output queue so they can print a lot without intervention.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hello. I am looking for a printer that can handle auto duplexing 4x6 post cards.
That’s not possible because duplex won’t work on such a small sheet, you’ll have to use a bigger sheet and cut it down afterwards..

srtrs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922
That is disappointing. Any printer that you can recommend that can handle that paper thickness that I could manually duplex then? I don't want to have to deal with cutting or have the waste if I only need to print one.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That is disappointing.
Any printer that uses a standard top paper loader will work, after the first side has dried, but the second side will have to be inserted manually.. Thickness is not an issue and glossy photo paper wont print two sided..

srtrs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922
Thanks for the help everyone. Do you know any that can use a tray or a top loader I can insert more than one card? If I have to print a bunch, I'd rather set it up to print 50 on one side, put the whole stack back in and print the other side.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem is that most photo paper cannot be printed on the back side due to a plastic coating.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know where you are located, you may look for an Epson L805 which is a top loader and can take quite a lot of sheets, as well 4x6" cards and cards/photo paper up to a width of 11" . I wouldn't confirm 50 sheets but I just printed 30 cards in one go, and there was quite some space left for more cards. Ink handling is easy, it is a tank system printer, you just refill the inks by the bottle. You need to look for special inkjet papers which are capable for two sided printing, there are only a few on the market - glossy or matte, but I'm not sure about the size you need, you may need to precut them from regular sheets. 4x6" glossy fotopapers are pretty rare - I see 2 offers on the German Ebay site - 160 g and 260g

Last edited:

srtrs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922
I don't know where you are located, you may look for an Epson L805 which is a top loader and can take quite a lot of sheets, as well 4x6" cards and cards/photo paper up to a width of 11" . I wouldn't confirm 50 sheets but I just printed 30 cards in one go, and there was quite some space left for more cards. Ink handling is easy, it is a tank system printer, you just refill the inks by the bottle.

Thanks! I'm in the US and it doesn't look like that printer is available on the US Epson site but I did see it for sale on ebay.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
You can do that with non RC papers. There may be cast coated papers, witch have a glossy or luster side and the back is paper. It is also possible on higher end papers. I did this several times for example with the Hahnemühle Cards. It is best if you have a printer with pigmented ink to avoid bad prints on the not coated side.
Look at Red River Papers for greeting cards or post cards for example.