Longtime lurker willing to enter 3D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the name of the sea hasn’t change in 400 years..
Not looking to change it. I like history.

743e99b5dcf87709f7b7f69657e66c74.jpg

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
That’s all very fine @Redbrickman, but I found this video tutorial more for an accomplished user and totally useless for a beginner, I use a 160gm piece of paper and move the head and bed into position to hand level.
Yes that is the easy way to level, and may work OK or may not. Most of the cheap aluminium beds are like a taco and very rarely flat, especially after a few heat cycles. No matter how much you play with the paper setting if the bed is bent you cannot get all 4 corners and the middle level.

As an example a 160gm piece of paper is approx 0.2mm thick. On my Creality CR10 when I levelled the 4 corners the centre took two thicknesses of paper (0.4mm) to fill the gap between the nozzle and bed, so I had to add some foil tape to the centre to level it up.

Also when watching the first layer being printed live you can adjust with baby steps on the display until you get a good layer and it sticks well.

But everyone has their preferred way to set up the bed so what works is what matters :)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The more I read here and elsewhere about 3D printers, the more I realize that, like in many things, maybe is best to start with a really good quality brand and avoid these kind of problems with levelling, clogs, loose belts, poor cabling or flabby hot beds ( that sounds quite naughty :D ).

Creality was my inital choice two weeks ago, then I found the Artillerys that, apparently, improved a few things of the CRs but, oh boy, now I disovered Prusa and it's a lot more money than the other two, but it seems to play in another league.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Creality was my inital choice two weeks ago, then I found the Artillerys that, apparently, improved a few things of the CRs but, oh boy, now I disovered Prusa and it's a lot more money than the other two, but it seems to play in another league.
Fortunately there are countless videos comparing all of these, including people's experiences and opinions on the pros, cons, etc. Even a few comparing is it worth it to pay more for xyz printer, etc.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
now I disovered Prusa and it's a lot more money than the other two, but it seems to play in another league.
@Artur5, you go and get what you think is best suited to you, and Feck the nay Sayers, but throwing money at something doesn’t always make it a better buy, I haven’t purchased a lemon yet, and the cheapest printer I bought was only €123..

Whichever one you choose.. You can only blame yourself…:lol:

P.S. I think @Nifty has a Creality Ender 3…

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
The Prusa are I believe a step up from the Creality machines and quite a bit more expensive. If you can comfortably afford a Prusa then that would be my choice. When I bought my Creality there was a 3 Mth waiitng list for the MK3 Prusa that had just been released so I went for the Creality but my first choice would have been the Prusa.

I'd also lean towards twin Z axis machines rather than the single as I think they are more accurate but of course the single driven leadscrew machines are cheaper.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The Prusa kit arrived today.
Assembling in progress but it will take time. They say that experienced and skilled pros do it in three hours. Say three days for new users like yours truly. :rolleyes:
When (If) everything ends up well, I'll be pestering you guys with questions and uneducated opinions.
PETg or PLA, ASA or ABS.. to Flex or not to Flex....

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Prusa kit arrived today.
Congratulations @Artur5, now you got it, there's no hurry to assemble it, and you take as long as you like because there’s no one looking over your shoulder, plus it will give you a better chance to get to know all the bits and where they go, and what they are supposed to do.
Capture.JPG
O’ I’m a PLA man…:thumbsup