Keeping filled back up carts ready to go into the printer

jnug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just read a recommendation from one of the refill ink and cart suppliers. They commented that one thing worth considering was to have a back up cart for each color their waiting so that instead of refilling the exact cart that has just reported low ink to the printer, you just pull that one out and insert the one you have ready to go. I kinda' like the idea. You would not even be considering filling carts in the printer under those circumstances yet would not worry about air getting to the print head for any length of time either.

Then you refill the one you pulled at your leisure, put it in your stock and wait for that position to report needing a refill again.

That actually sounded like a pretty good idea to me. Sure you would have to purchase two empty carts per color but that is not bad. Not sure you would not want a way to deal with a defective or damaged cart anyway. You would then be committed to filling outside of the printer which is frankly an idea I like. I guess the way these things are designed, once you have achieved prime for the cart, as long as you don't let it fall to completely empty you can store it and it will remain primed. Is that everybody's understanding? That is one thing that has so far been something of a surprise to me. Every time I go to a web site and view the products available there, the refill carts look different. I would not have thought there are so many different refill cart designs out there. They all appear to be damper carts. Some have a separate hole in the bottom with a door that you lift during the priming process. Others have a nozzle that you attach to your syringe. I think those have you prime by inserting that nozzle right through the ink valve at the bottom of the cart instead of having a separate hole there for that purpose. Some have little doors over the filler holes that are actually attached to the cart so you just open them instead of pulling off a cap. I am just staggered by the number of different refillable damper carts out there just for my printer. You would think the ink suppliers would have one or two guys to go to to get their carts and that would be it. Clearly these are coming from different places more often than they are different quality levels of carts coming from the same places.

I am wondering if anybody is already using this process of having filled color carts ready to go as opposed to filling as they report low ink. I would like to try to do it this way. One thing that does bother me about the epson carts (mine is an artisan 837) is that there is no holder or foot or platform made to support the cart outside of the printer. I would love to be able to put the carts onto something that would hold the cart up in its normal orientation without being in the printer.

Do you think if one were doing this it would make sense to wrap a filled cart in a sheet of cellophane in order to help keep air from getting to the ink an keep ink from leaking anywhere. Maybe cello and then a ziplock bag? What do you guys think?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I always have a full set of refilled and reset carts ready to go and change the complete set whenver one goes low. In fact I never let go to the point where they read empty. Now my Canon printers ( See below ) have chips and the carts have prisms that are very accurate so I can safely wait till they give the low ink warning. Some other 3rd part carts/chips tend to give inaccurate reports so I will swop the whole ink set when they reach about 20%.

jnug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Had not thought about the added step of just catching all of them at the same time. I think I read somewhere that there is something about the way the epson chips report that would make that one tough to do unless you have the refill system from that one guy that actually has a chip with a switch that sits behind the carts. Instead of the normal process of a chip reading the cart and reporting to the printer, this switch chip actually means the user flicks the switch after filling and the switch is what activates the chip to report filled stations.

Can I ask if you do something like cellophane wrap the carts that you are storing or put them in ziplocs....or do you just sit them without any kind of wrap over them? I do envy you those Canon cart clips or stands if you will. Really wish more companies did that and really really wish epson did.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Although I don't change them all when one is low I do check them all and change the ones that are down 70 % or more. Each time a cart shows low or out of ink and is replaced the printer runs a cleaning cycle to be sure that the new cart's ink is flowing properly. Since the cleaning cycle uses ink from all the carts I makes sense to minimize the number of carts that actually show low or empty as each replacement then uses ink from all carts. If you are really fastidious about frequently checking ink levels you could always catch the carts before they trigger the low in level. You would then cut out a good number of cleaning cycles. Of course, you must be certain that a cart that has been refilled many times is still flowing well to avoid the cleaning cycle.

jnug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That is a good tip fotofreak. It did not occur to me that the printer ran a cleaning cycle on all ink positions when even one reporting low is replaced. Sort of justifies the use of an external waste tank as well.

There is a youtube video that shows the ink from an artisan 800 series printer going into an external waste tank from a cleaning cycle....I was kinda' surprised how much ink it was....in part for the quantity of ink but also because under normal circumstances, that ink would just be held in the internal waste pads. Man that looked like a lotta' ink for the pads to handle when you consider multiple cleaning cycles.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've never verified it, but some people have reported that the Epson printers wasted more ink with more frequent cleanings than the Canons. This was mentioned a long time ago, so if it was true it may not be true now for the newer Epsons.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Owning a 1400 and 1100 now... it's just as bad as my R220 and R340 were. Can't win. So glad I'm using refills and a CIS!

BrightGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have two sets of refillable cartridges for my Epson R2000. One installed into the printer, another waiting outside, just like I would do with OEM carts. That way I do not have to wait for cartridge refilling while printing a long series of pictures that would cause a given ink to run out at the middle of printing process. Also, I take my time to refill each of them not worrying about priming, repriming or air entering into the printhead. Also, I would be backed up for cartridges problems. I store the refilled cartridges in a cold drawer, with their vent holes closed by a silicon plug. That's all.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have CIS-style refillable dampers for my Epson 1400, fill-in-place, with a button that lets you reset the carts when they're empty. Never have to take them out so you never have to worry about air locks and banding once you get them running good (unless you let them sit a long time).

Strangely, ever since the first reset they have stopped decreasing, which is weirding me out now. The 1100 is doing the same thing.