Just installed refillable cartridge to R1900 and have problems

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just installed refillable cartridge and doesn't look like it is working properly, I refilled the ink to the empty cartridge myself, is there anything wrong can cause this kind of problem?

Then I took on cartridge out, had a look, put it back in. Print again, these time, the paper came out blank.

(I brought brand new R1900, and the Y color run out, then I change the whole color set to refillable, I don't have much experience with it, but because I have to use a DIY black color now I have to solve this problem.)

First print
6265031193_af4006c45d.jpg

The file
6265561100_68cee11fc4.jpg

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think the first one just used up what was left in the head from the OEM ink, and no color came out from the new set. But the printer is working, why there is no color came out of the new cartridge?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The reason is because the refillable cartridges are not primed. You are sucking air into the printhead at this point. This will now lead to possibly a lot of ink wasteage until all the air in the printhead is sucked out by the printer.

If you look at that little round compartment in the middle of the cartridgecartridge that is supposed to be pretty much full of ink. You can easily tell it is pretty much empty at this point. Most people just run clean printhead routines to try and get ink into the compartment. Not really a wise thing to do.

The best way at this point to prime it is to reverse fill the cartridge by pumping ink back up where it normally exits with a conical tip or something called a bottom fill adapter. Proper priming is essential for Epson printheads.

What you did is a NO NO with Epson printers though many vendors don't even know what this is all about either. Now you know better.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You carts ARE NOT Primed. You basically now have air in the head.

Take a look at the circular chamber on the upper left side of the cart as shown in your picture. Notice it is empty.
That area needs to be full or at least partially full. The way to fill or prime that area is to Vacuum fill your cart. Remove each cart and maybe put back you OEMs temporarily if you still have them. If not, work fast!!!

Take a 10 to 20 ml syringe with a plain tip. NOT the luer lock ones. Since you already have ink in your carts, load about 3-5 ml of ink with no air in the syringe.
Plug your air vent hole. Unplug your fill hole. Insert the syringe tip into the fill hole twisting it so it is tight and is sealing well.
Hold the cart upright, pull back the syringe plunger until you have developed about 5ml or more Vacuum ( AIR ) let go of the plunger and ink will be drawn in. Repeat several times until no more ink goes in. Check the circular chamber to make sure it has ink in it.

Next you can plug the fill hole and unplug the vent hole. Insert the same syringe into the ink outlet port and push it in until you are able to withdraw some ink. Now you know for sure you have a properly primed cart.
The circular chamber has ink in it and you are able to draw out ink from the ink port.
Do this to all your carts and re-install. After the purge cycle ends run a nozzle check rather than a bar chart.

You need to have a complete 100% nozzle check.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Mikling!!! You beat me to it!
I hope I gave him the correct instructions.
At least this method has always worked for me.

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! I did the yellow cartridge, is it right? If this one is right, I am going to finish the rest. Thanks!

6266314569_de0f29c524.jpg

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That looks good!!! You can top off a bit more directly through the fill hole.
It would surely help if these sellers would provide that bit of IMPORTANT information. You think?

You did fine. Just repeat what you did on the rest and you ought to be AOK!

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you so much! All solved!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
GREAT!
I was wondering how it all turned out.
Keep a close eye on your carts. Theoretically you should reach empty without loosing your priming.
Such was not the case for me after many refills, So if you just refill passively by just adding ink to the fill port, you will get air in the head again. I now have three sets of carts which are always full reset and primed. I replace the complete set the minute the first cart shows empty. That way you greatly reduce the purging cycles you would encounter if you just replace carts one at a time. You also greatly increase the Waste Ink Pad / Counter life.

Take care.

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow, so much to know. So is it easier to have continuous ink system (CIS) than refillable cartridges? And do you have suggestion for the best ink you have used so far for R1900?