Just a thought-

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I only did to wish you save some of your pot of gold, @The Hat. We frugal must stick together! :D

I thought everything in California is touched with gold, maybe it is only the sunshine. You needn't worry about The Hat, Ireland is full of rainbows and pots of gold.

I changed the image in post#44, to something more cheerful.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
@Emualtor the update very nice its look more hopeful the other .

Taxes is very good in US and Ireland there is service beside it ....
but here in Arab I think there is nothing .

here just maybe have the inspiration after ...

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@PeterBJ I checked on processor usage during the final part of Argyll profile creation for a 957 patch target. The operation took 4 mins 40 secs continuous. The processor percentage usage fluctuated between 11% and 16%. Looking at the voltages applied to the 4 cores showed core 0 did most of the work, while each of the other 3 cores flashed on and off briefly from time to time.

I guess most of the task involved maths calculation. I am not familiar with how the four core processors share work, but it doesn't look very impressive.

My old two core used to take 15 mins to do a smaller sized profile, so the 4 mins is good. It might suggest that the gadget is not reading the usage correctly in this case? But the voltages applied to the cores imply the same pattern. Strange!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe a large part of the processing is done not by the CPU but by the GPU? Photoshop can take advantage of the image processing power of a high end graphics card. Maybe this also applies to your profiling software?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think the only way to load up fully may be to have multiple tasks, as stratman had.

The profiling with Argyll uses command line input and there is very little visible activity.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Take a look at post #59 before you do anything with this info! I think stratman has the answer to this!

@PeterBJ I think I have found the answer and it appears to be a very important answer for anyone using multiple cores and in my case Win 7. Watch this youtube video.

I have followed the procedure described and WOW, the gadget meter shot up into the red (never seen it up there) and back down to 1%. It now pops up to 27% and back under idling conditions, and is mainly at 1%.

This seems such an important bit of knowledge and is clearly part of initial setting up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWWaX63QffY

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the info. This is something I will look more into. Do you know if this applies to all Windows versions or it is a Windows 7 problem?

Has the new setting increased the speed of your profiling jobs? I got the impression from the video that the setting might only be related to how many cores are used during boot.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
"I'm the shit and I help people out."

Yeah, this guy is full of it and doesn't understand what this option is for.

From Microsoft:
Advanced options:
  • Number of processors. Limits the number of processors used on a multiprocessor system. If the check box is selected, the system boots using only the number of processors in the drop-down list.
System Configuration/Boot/Advanced Options/Number of Processors:
You can limit the number of core processors operating at Boot by selecting from the list. You use this option typically if there is a problem. Otherwise, you leave the box UNCHECKED, the default recommended mode, and the BIOS/UEFI will initiate ALL core processors at boot up.

I don't know about Windows 7 but in Windows 8.x you can read/see the number of cores and logical processors available from Task Manager/Performance. The single graph of CPU % Utilization is the combined total of all cores/logical processors. If you want to see all the logical processors separately in action then right click on the graph, left click "change graph to", and left click on "Logical processors". Viola.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/5113-help-advanced-boot-options-number-processors.html