Is hibernating an (Epson) inkjet possible and advisable?

KristianW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Choosing an Epson
Hi,
I'm looking for an A3 photo printer and e.g. the Epson ET-8550 seems good enough for me and economic enough (though I don't need the scanner).
On the other hand I want to be able to hibernate the printer so that I can leave home for a longer time. And a printer with replaceable cartridges seems to me to be simpler to flush efficiently with whatever it takes.
Some alcohol solution I guess?

With no experience of that I can only guess.
So I'd really appreciate some advice!

Is such hibernating possible and advisable?
And, if so, how and with what, perhaps there is a thread or post I’ve missed?
Am I too pessimistic about doing it to the ET-8550?

Is there any (fairly reliable) 6 colour Epson printer with available replaceable cartridges (without problematic chip issues) that can be run with Epson 114 (or 106) inks without great difficulties in creating profiles?
( - or with any other good ink set with similar longevity?)

( I've been reading a lot on your forum, it's great for printing advice, but I haven't yet got as far as this.)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Epson XP-15000, actuall the same print head like the Epson ET-8550, but the Matte/Text black replaced by red ink.

See this link:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...base-to-obtain-red-and-grey-using-cmyk.15642/

refillable cartridges or easily refill original cartridges and resetter available for the cartridges (both original as refillables) and resetter for the waste ink tank. You can use the original cartridges for printing and refill them with 114 or 106 inks (formula for red and gray ink also in the link) and use the refillables with my print head preserving solution to flush the print head and keep the nozzles moist during long time of non activity.

KristianW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Choosing an Epson
Aah, pharmacist,
Thank you!

I first considered the XP-15000 when I saw in a post by Ink stained Fingers that replacement cartridges were available for it, but the red ink in it made me reconsider.

Your link is really informative, thanks!
You seem to have done a great job!

I read on a bit and got the impression that you are just as happy with the mixtures as with the original XP15000 inks, correct?
After how much photo printing do you have to start filling up cartridges?

Of course, in your case (and mine) life would be simpler without the red ink, I mean mixing inks in cartridges vs. within the printer driver shouldn't really make a difference...
So I suppose the XP-15000 was the only alternative you found?

If you don't mind some more questions,
have you tried b/w printing with those colours?
And found it good enough?

Can the XP-15000 print b/w with only the black and grey inks?
If not, the grey ink ought to reduce colour casting from the C/M/Y inks?
Does it well enough?

I've seen some posts on printing b/w with the coloured inks replaced by black or grey ink deluted to their density, but remember no reports of results.
What's your opinion on this?
Could it improve b/w results?

Thank you!
( I'll read on in the thread later, maybe I'll find some of the answers?)

KristianW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Choosing an Epson
Thank you, Ink stained Fingers!

For the occasional hibernation that is really useful - for regular use it depends on volume needed...

I will certainly make a note of it!

Latest posts