Is Expression Premium XP-7100 refillable?

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I actually have multiple questions. The first is refillability - note - this would be a US based purchase. I see that someone else had a US purchased Epson that took 410 cartridges and aftermarket refillables were not compatible with his printer - his was an XP-630 and the thread is here: https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-chips-on-refillable-carts.13134/#post-113426
Amazon and Epson's web sites both say there are no compatible cartridges for the XP-7100, but I don't know if that's just protecting themselves from suboptimal printing results or if it's true. Can you use aftermarket refillable cartridges in the XP-7100 if you live in the US? I see in Europe aftermarket 410 cartridges work, but based on that report above, this may be different for printers sold in the USA.

Second. How prone are Epson printers to clogging? For 25+ years I've used Canons and refilled them, but I've had 3 printers in a row die by clogging, each lasting maybe one year till problems began. so it's time to rethink which brand I purchase. The Canon owners like the Maxify series. They're easily refillable and they work, but one of my strong desires is to print directly to CD/DVD's and the Canon Maxify won't do that.

I print sporadically. I'll go 2 weeks without printing and then print multiple pages, then won't print for another week or so. Most is just black text, but occasionally something with a color logo or picture in the text. Printing photos is a rarity bit is done occasionally. Will any inkjet printer remain clog free in these circumstances?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson is regionalising printer firmware , and if Amazon won't sell you such cartridges you most likely can't get them anywhere else either. It may be a firmware issue but as well some patent/trade mark infringement issues preventing legal imports of such 3rd party cartridges, and this legal situation can be different in Europe.
Epson photo printers like the XP-55 or P400 or P600 can print CD's, as well the tank system models like the L805 or L1800 or the ET 7700/7750

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Inkstained, thanks for your reply. I will explore the printer models you suggested. Do you or anyone else have experience with both Canon and Epson printers to know if Epson printers clog less often than Canons using refill ink. I've gotten my ink from Precision Colors, recommended here on the Canon printer forum and the last 3 Canon printers have all clogged and died within a year of making the switch to refill ink.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't think you can directly attribute the use of 3rd party inks to the clogging of printheads, there are several factors - there can be handling issues, mechanical problems with 3rd party cartridges , irregular printing with long idle periods and more, and yes, there are reports as well that inks of some suppliers may cause a higher clogging risk; it is just impossible to make general statements like brand A is better than brand B , you may have differences between dye ink and pigment printers, you may have differences even between models of the same manufacturer. It is all difficult to prove - ink flow problems may appear as a clogging issue , or a used up printhead may appear as clogged, or there is air in the ink supply system , it is overall a rather complex issue.
But there are some good refill practices nevertheless which reduce the overall risk of clogging

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
According to the main Chinese supplier of chips for refillable cartridges, they are no longer allowed to sell chips for Epson in the USA but can still sell them in other countries, and they are still allowed to sell Canon and Brother chips.