IP7250 keeps on clogging magenta

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
On my second IP7250 print head (no magenta) I tried to open the head (no way).
Then I tried to press water through the blue inlet, and the yellow inlet and here the water is running through nicely.
Question:
What can use to clean the magenta inlet?
If liquid for how long and what is the active part (amonia?)?

Chris N

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W
I have experienced exactly the same problem recently with Magenta on my Canon ip7250. Here is what I have tried so far.

1- Removed the printhead and soaked in ammoniated window cleaner and a little isopropyl alcohol for a few days.
It helped but the problem persisted.

2- In a last ditch effort I put the printhead in a sonication bath with soapy water. (Don't try this at home folks as sonication can damage the printhead - but this was a last ditch effort before deciding if I should scrap the printer)

3- Using a toothbrush scrubbed the white filter on the printhead that connects with the ink tank.

4- Filtered the Magenta ink with high quality filter paper in case it had any algae or anything in it.

5- I tried a different refillable cart. there was improvement but the problem persists.

The problem persists.

My conclusion is that it is some kind of ink starvation. After cleaning cycles I get a good test pattern. But when the printer prints under load, the Magenta runs out. When the printer prints in fine mode then the Magenta prints fine because it is being used more slowly.

So its either a partial blockage (maybe in the little white filters that connect with the ink tanks) or something is wrong with the 3rd party ink which is somewhat old. I don't think the actual nozzles are blocked.

So for now, I am printing in fine mode. Its slow but it works.

Kind regards
Chris

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Nozzles are wearing out showing such effects,

So for now, I am printing in fine mode. Its slow but it works.
the fine mode uses a different row of nozzles which are not impacted yet that much by previous usage since you most likely didn't select the fine mode so far. There is not really much you can do about that other than replacing the printhead sooner or later.

Chris N

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W
Thanks for your reply. I did ask about a new printhead. I originally got the printer for about $70-80. A new original Canon printhead costs about $110*, Go figure! so its not worth my while. I can purchase a similar printer locally - the Canon TS705 for about $80. But I prefer to do my best to fix old stuff rather than send it to the landfill.

Kind regards
Chris

* Warning to anyone following this thread.
Do not get any supposedly "New" cheap replacement printheads from China.
They are basically cleaned and repackaged burnt out printheads taken from discarded printers.
I got stung by this scam and had to send them them back for a refund.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
A new printer would be even better than a new printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
1- Removed the printhead and soaked in ammoniated window cleaner and a little isopropyl alcohol for a few days.
It helped but the problem persisted.
Firstly 99% of all ink flow issues are caused directly by the cartridges themselves, and that’s the first place you should look when you get into print problems.

You should never do any test printing until you have a clear nozzle check print and if the print head still has a small clog it can usually be cleared by self-cleaning or running one or two small prints using OEM ink. (Don’t run repeated deep cleans)

Tip:- If there is ever a need to soak the print head use warm water with a squirt of fairy washing up liquid 5cm deep, and change the water every 4 hours or so, never soak the print head in any solution that contains ammonia.. (Dry thoroughly afterwards)