ip5000 - black leaks out + into yellow cartridge

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
QE2 said:
I did get a new black non-pgmt cart (for fear the cart itself was the culprit in the leaking) , but in the meantime I refilled the cart that was leaking and let it sit on a paper towel outside the printer overnight. There was no leakage through the bottom or the refill hole I drilled (no tape on it). So I think that means the cart is OK and there's an internal problem? Safe to assume?
I would not assume anything yet beyond the cartridge you refilled is not leaking at this time.

I'm going to put the head back in and try to test the purge pads as you suggested, and then try a few test prints.
I recommend you follow my original advice and NOT make test prints. As I posted before, reinstall your print head, test your purge pads and print a nozzle check. Then post the nozzle check here. If your nozzle check is perfect then you are good to resume printing. But it is your choice.

QE2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FLOOD the purge pads making sure you see a pool of water above them then close the lid and perform a simple cleaning. Open the lid and look to see if the water is now gone (the pads may even look a little less blackish). Report if you are unable to FLOOD the pads, if the POOLED water doesn't go away. Report your experience - if it worked as expected or not.
OK: piut all back together (after soaking) and flooded purge pads as above.
They seem to have absorbed all the distilled H20.

I printed a test pattern after the simple cleaning and cyan and magenta were a bit streaky so I did another simple cleaning and it came out just a little bit better. Wanted to attach a scan of the test print but don't see a simple way to attach in this forum without having the image online.
The dark cyan bar is streaky (top half is dark and bottom half of the bar is lighter and red is also a bit streaky.

The numbers on the left side of the test pattern print (6C, 6M, etc.) are black on the top half and red on the bottom half of each number, except for 3eBK which is all black. I don't remember that being the case before.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all of the help!

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: QE2

Because of all the working you have been doing on the carts, print head, etc. it is time to give things a rest. You need to give the printer time to stabilize. Turn off the printer and step back. Do not turn on the printer for at least 8 hours (longer is much better). After the allotted time you can turn on the printer and perform a nozzle test.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
QE2 said:
FLOOD the purge pads making sure you see a pool of water above them then close the lid and perform a simple cleaning. Open the lid and look to see if the water is now gone (the pads may even look a little less blackish). Report if you are unable to FLOOD the pads, if the POOLED water doesn't go away. Report your experience - if it worked as expected or not.
OK: piut all back together (after soaking) and flooded purge pads as above.
They seem to have absorbed all the distilled H20.
1) Did the pads pool liquid when you flooded them and stay pooled until you closed the lid and did a cleaning?

2) At what part of the test was the liquid absorbed?

I printed a test pattern after the simple cleaning and cyan and magenta were a bit streaky so I did another simple cleaning and it came out just a little bit better. Wanted to attach a scan of the test print but don't see a simple way to attach in this forum without having the image online.
Scan the nozzle check and store as a JPEG, PNG or GIF file. Use the "Uploads" function found in the green bar towards the top of this page. Alternatively, you could upload your image file to a free file hosting web site and paste the link here.

Stop cleaning or printing anything else but a nozzle check until we see the nozzle check.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
joseph1949 said:
Because of all the working you have been doing on the carts, print head, etc. it is time to give things a rest. You need to give the printer time to stabilize. Turn off the printer and step back. Do not turn on the printer for at least 8 hours (longer is much better).
Why?

QE2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK - thanks for the upload instructions.

Here is the scan of the test print:
4779_printer_test006.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
QE2:

Your print head most likely has an electrical malfunction that is uncorrectable. The darker, top-most Cyan band shows at least two defects of lighter printing, the lower defect that takes up half of the band demonstrates the straight line of an electrical malfunction. It is remotely possible that the logic board is malfunctioning, but I think it unlikely. You need a new print head.

If all you print is monochrome text on plain paper then the printer is still serviceable without getting a new print head.

QE2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for checking it out, stratman. (and for all your help)

RE:
Your print head most likely has an electrical malfunction that is uncorrectable
Oh no... perhaps my soaking/cleaning may have caused the electrical problem?

Any ideas how much a new print head costs? (ip5000)

Of course I just bought a whole mess of brand new refill inks... :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
QE2 said:
Any ideas how much a new print head costs? (ip5000)
Call Canon Sales - usually the best price in my experience.

Search the internet for "QY6-0057-000", the print head part number.

QE2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
RE: electrical malfunction:
is it possible that the contacts are dirty or not seated (making contact) properly? perhaps some simple explanation?
Any thoughts for last-ditch efforts to test/save the head would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for all the guidance...