iP4600 disk printing

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
1. The required "Tray G" is available but no info on re-programming EEPROM
Anyone know how to enable disk printing on a North American iP4600 ?

2. Service Mode
Anyone know how to enter Service Mode on a iP4600 ?

3. I don't own one of these beasts, just trying to help a sorry lad on another forum.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jflan,... I have not done the iP4600 but I believe it is identical to the iP4200 and all the way up to the iP6700. All you have to do is go into Service Mode and change the "Country Code" to Europe. Once that is done, just power the unit off and the code will be reset. To test it, go back into Service Mode and print a Service Test print, and the first line should show "EUR". Now you have to "Un-install the printer from you PC, and then re-install it. this time it will be set up as EUR mode. Next you need to install the Canon CD LabelPrint software for Windows. Last be not least, you need to modify the CD entry port by removing the black plastic plate that Canon installs on all US models before they ship. It is simple to do and only takes a small flat blade screw driver. I personally have modified about 10 iP4200's and my own iP6600D. Has not failed yet. Any Service Manual will tell you how to get into Service Mode. There are also many web sites with the info. Also, people that sell the CD trays on ebay usually provide all the instructions and the software.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Jflan,

I hope this can be achieved. The problem with the latest Canon printers is the introduction of region based cartridges and chances are high the printer is also region based and has different hardware built in. This can result in the impossibility of enabling the CD/DVD printing feature.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Jflan,

I hope this can be achieved. The problem with the latest Canon printers is the introduction of region based cartridges and chances are high the printer is also region based and has different hardware built in. This can result in the impossibility of enabling the CD/DVD printing feature.
I'm afraid that this may be the case.
Standard EEPROM re-programming procedures are not working with this iP4600. There are units just north of the border (Canada) that are direct disk enabled out of the box. We're hoping it's just a matter of time that someone will come up with a solution.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jflan,... I must admit I have not been keeping up the the absolute new editions of Canon printers nor the new chips that are supposed to be region coded. I now see that Canon must have surcommed to pressure from whomever holds the patent for the CD's printing forced them to curtail all printers in the US from printing CD's. So what did they do,.. come out with a new chip and/or eeprom code that does not allow field update of the destination code.

I have the Service Manual for the iP4500, and of course it has all the capability of any of the iPxxxx family to change the destination code to other that the US. Sorry for giving you any misleading hopes of such a change. I wouldn't put it past Canon to remove this feature and make all US printers with ROM's and not EProms.

Sorry again for not digging deaper.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Trigger37, yes, now even the waste ink reset is done via Software for this new series of printer. So Users would have to go back to Canon or registered for it depending the locality of the users, to reset waste ink.