IP4600 Canon Magenta prints brownish

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've been refilling my Canon ip4600 original carts.with ink from Sudhaus. Everything went well until the third refill, now I have a problem with the magenta colour....it prints brownish and bright red exactly the same colour. I've run nozzle check and print head cleaning, I've tried adjusting colour magenta manually, nothing makes any difference. My first qeustion..is it possable that the print-head is damaged? (I had ink-level monitor disabled and the magenta sponge was completely dry). I have no experience in dealing with profiles, but I don't think that would really help.Could somebody help me out here please? Obliged.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It is certainly possible if you did a fair amount of printing with a dry magenta cartridge that you have permanently burned out some magenta nozzles. At this point, you should resist printing anything except for nozzle checks until you have unclogged your nozzles or until you have determined that you need a new print head.

Can we assume that you have refilled your magenta cartridge and are no longer printing with it dry?

I don't understand your statement "I have a problem with the magenta colour....it prints brownish and bright red exactly the same colour". Are you saying that under some condition your printer can print bright red?

Does the magenta show up in the nozzle check? What about all the other colors?

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
O.K., some print outpts.....last print is what should be
NozzleTest.jpg

Gedruckt.jpg

Original%20A4_Test_Print_CMYKRGB.gif

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It looks like you may have some clogged nozzles but that's probably not what is causing your problem with the strange colors. Since I am color blind, I'm having a very difficult time analyzing your colors. Maybe some normal sighted people can advise.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hmm I've never seen a pattern like that before. Your 1 and 3 pl nozzles aren't firing on the test stripe but it seems they are working on the black side bars. The Yellow seems weak too. Non functioning 1 pl nozzles would explain why some magentas appear wrong but not others, when it's lighter shades it would be wrong but dark magentas seem ok. I'd be siding on burned out printheads at this time but the black side bars seem ok, so I'm not 100% sure.

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried out standard printer settings, standard driver settings, no profile. On printing some normal tests I found that the problem only comes up on "saturated" red and magenta. The solution was to go out and buy a better-quality photo-paper! I'm happy that it isn't a printer-head problem...and thank you for your help.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Stoppage,

In Germany they sell Sihl-X paper in the Aldi shops and this paper is very cheap and really good quality. You should give this paper a try.