IP4500 printhead error / defect?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi
Yesterday, i managed to obtain a brand new IP4500 (yes!), and i was doing some benchmarking/data collection. It was all looking fine, until i looked closely at the nozzle checks. On the nozzle checks, there appears to be a misalignment in the blue sections, and this appears only in what i think is the 5pl section. I have uploaded the scans in .jpg form, which i have taken just a few minutes ago, using my scanner at its highest possible dpi (i have a canoscan n650u) and saved using photoshop.*
However, as they are still quite large, i have had to use file hosting sites... sorry.. :(

I have scanned copies of both the regular nozzle check, and the service mode nozzle check. The .zip file is about 4.8 mb. If you have photoshop, i'd advise you to open it in that instead of windows picture and fax viewer, as the windows program doesn't like large file sizes.

Use any of these links:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f41b91b6d0c63f89d8f14848abf485dde04e75f6e8ebb871
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/8f4f576e1c_4.77MB
http://rapidshare.com/files/236689754/IP4500_scans.zip.html

On the regular nozzle check, have a look at the middle of the first cyan 'stripe' (the topmost blue one).
On the service mode scan, have a look at the topmost cyan one, and the green one. If you zoom in on the green one, you can clearly see the blue and yellow lines.

EDIT: Also, look at the letters on the regular nozzle check. You can see lines running across them.

Is this normal? Or do i have a problem?

Thanks

*For anyone really interested, i have printed both images 3 times, on 3 different grades of paper (cheap copy paper, thicker good quality plain paper, and epson 'photo quality inkjet paper'). I have only uploaded the best quality prints (epson paper prints). I have the scans of these 6 images, in .psd format. If anyone wants these, just say so in a forum post and ill see what i can do. Just remember, the regular nozzle check ones are between 64 and 82 mb, and the service mode ones are between 165 and 222 mb [yes, they are really that huge]).

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I presume your new printer came with a 1-yr warranty and new genuine Canon cartridges. Give Canon tech support a call, explain your situation, and if needed, they will send you a new printhead.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, i called canon tech support, and i described ny problem to them. The regular techie said he hadn't heard any thing like this before, so i asked to be transferred to a supervisor. I spoke to the supervisior, and she asked me to send them a scan. I sent them the scan that i uploaded above, but i did not send the service mode scan. The supervisor said she'll call me tomorrow at about 4pm. I asked if they can send a replacement print head, but she said they can't.

So, we'll see what happens...
In the mean time, does any one else have any other opinions on what has happened?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Please post what the problem turns out to be. Also, it is a good idea in the future to take the name of the supervisor, just in case you do not get a callback today.

Good luck.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau: Thanks for your concern, but i did take the name down of the supervisor (as well as the regular techie), but i didn't think it was appropriate to post her name in the forum.

I'll keep the forum posted on what happens.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I hope it turns out ok for you.

Canon support/service always sucked here in Europe, at least in my country. I have sued one seller that sold me 450D Canon EOS camera with sensor defect, and lots of factory dust.

What quality control does Canon have to make Cameras that have more dust than in a typical room, they should assemble then in so called “clean rooms” with high standard air filtering.

After trying every local consumer rights protection institutions I finally hired a lawyer (it is not cheap and probably not worth it) to take the case to court. So no Canon support is crap if my seller had no problems with replacing motherboards, hdd’s , CPUs etc.

And now 2 years later the case is still awaiting decision by the court so no camera and no money.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
BTW as long as you do not see any problems in simple nozzle test or by actual printing I would not worry about it.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
smile: Ah, but i do see a problem in the nozzle check- have a look at the scans that i uploaded in the first post.

"On the regular nozzle check, have a look at the middle of the first cyan 'stripe' (the topmost blue one).
On the service mode scan, have a look at the topmost cyan one, and the green one. If you zoom in on the green one, you can clearly see the blue and yellow lines. Also, look at the letters on the regular nozzle check. You can see lines running across them

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, the customer service rep called me back today. However, he refused to acknowledge that there was a problem with my printer. He told me that, although the nozzle checks generated by the printers at the service centre didnt have the lines, my printer must be printing fine, as i didnt notice any overt effects on my photo prints.
He then gave me two options: take it back to the store and get it exchanged etc,
or, take it to a canon service centre, where it will be checked. However, if there is no fault, i may be required to pay a service fee.

not happy...

I cant take it back to the store, as the store doesnt have any more ip4500s, so i guess i have to take it to the service centre. Luckily, it is not too far away from where i live, but, still, it is a pain, and i am extremely busy the next few days.

I also asked him again whether they could send me a printhead, and he flat out said it is impossible to do.

So, it appears canon service isnt great in Australia either

I shall keep the forum posted on what happens with my printer.