ip3500- will not power up

Wallbanger

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip3000
Hi all

Long time lurker, but this is my first post.

I have acquired a "lightly used" ip3500 that will not power up. Thanx to the knowledgeable people in previous posts, I have:
  1. Verified I have good AC power
  2. Swapped power cords
  3. Verified I have good output voltages from the power supply
Various posts have suggested that a bad print head might result in no signal voltage to the power supply at startup. I have disassembled the top of the printer case, and removed the cartridges and print head. No change after reassembly.

Is there anything else to try? If I am out of luck, are there any parts I should try to salvage?

Thanx

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
, I have:
  1. Verified I have good AC power
  2. Swapped power cords
  3. Verified I have good output voltages from the power supply
Have you verified both the standby and operating voltages? If the power supply can supply the operating voltages when applying a +3 VDC control voltage to the control input but fails to power up with the printhead removed, the logic board could be defective. When a Canon printhead fails it sometimes ruins the logic board making the printer a total loss.

You could be lucky that the problem is caused by a defective power push button switch. Before dumping the printer you could check the function of this switch with a DMM with a continuity tester. Do not use an old analog multimeter with a buzzer for this test. The buzzer creates high voltage spikes that could kill semiconductors.

See this thread for more info about testing power supplies and the interaction between power supply, logic board and printhead.

Last edited:

Latest posts