ip3000 yellow banding

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma ip3000 and recently it has started printing the yellow in bands about 4mm wide - lighter and darker. I have cleaned, and soaked the printhead but no change.

Is it a print head issue or is it something else?

When I run the print test the yellow stripe is half light, half regular.

When I print on high quality setting it looks ok, but it takes forever.

Any ideas? I hate to see the death of this great wee printer!

(PS Im running it off a Mac with Snow Leopard)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
In my VERY limited expertise with CANONs....
Sounds like an electrical problem. Logic board?
The 50% light and normal nozzle check is a giveaway.
If the logic board is bad then any new head will likely go bad as well. Vicious circle.
You would need to replace it!

If it is just the head then a new head should solve the problem. But it does not seem to be a clogging problem with the 50-50 light / normal nozzle check so....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Jtoolman may be correct. Please post an image of both a nozzle check and something that clearly shows the problem if the nozzle check does not so we can understand better what is going on.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with jtoolman. The yellow band split horizontally at exact the middle is a typical symptom of electronic print head failure, and only a new print head might help. But a damaged print head might damage the logic board, and a logic board that has been damaged by a defective print head can damage a new print head. So replacing a Canon print head that has failed electronically is a gamble, and sadly I cannot tell the odds for success.

I guess the nozzle check looks like this, but with the error in yellow instead of cyan:

i560 nozzle check.jpg

If you want to search for a new print head, then the Canon parts number is QY6-0042, but I think chances of finding a new print head are slim. The QY6-0064 print head is a replacement for the QY6-0042 and might be easier to find. It is available from CRC tasktron UK, but they don't ship outside UK. Beware of refurbished print heads from the far East.

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi there

Thats all really helpful. Heres a pic (sorry for quality had to use ipad camera rather than scanner). Looks like the cyan is faulty as well as the yellow.

Any further thoughts - new printer or new printhead?

photo.JPG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If it were me then I would try my best to get a new print head for that gem of a printer, its well worth saving the old jalopy, the newer Canon desktop printers are not user refiller friendly and should only be considered as a last resort.

Caution is need when buying a new head; don’t get a refurbished one from China.. :eek:

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the new head to arrive. How important is it to replace the waste ink sponge? My printer gave the warning message a while back and I simply reset it.

Also should I lubricate the machine in any way - its making squeaking noises.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I would not recommend taking the printer apart, before you have got the new print head and it is confirmed that the printer is now OK again. If you got the warning that your absorbers are getting full, now is the time to reset the "D- value" from service mode. I guess you know the procedure, as you have already done this once, else see the service manual.

Here is a download of a rar archive which contains service manuals and a parts catalog for your printer. They are also helpful in servicing your printer. The parts catalog contains an assembly drawing that is helpful when installing new absorbers or reinstalling the washed and dried old absorbers. Before download of this archive please read this instruction.

Some say that resetting the counter and continuing printing without replacing or cleaning the absorbers can be done once, others consider this very risky, and doing it twice is even more risky. You risk a very nasty ink spill if the printer overflows.

Here is a thread about resetting the counter and cleaning the absorbers on the iP8500, that is mechanically similar to your iP3000.

For disassembling your printer and changing the absorbers this excellent instruction in English from druckerchannel.de for an iP4000 is also valid for your printer, as the printers are mechanically very similar.
For lubricating I think Molykote EM-30L grease is suitable. It is safe for plastics and I have used it with success on a couple of Canon printers. I didn't find a supplier in the EU, so I bought it from Ebay USA.

The service manual for ip3000 is simplified and has no info about lubrication, instead see the service manual for the similar iP4000 that is found here.

Do not use any silicone oil or grease products inside a printer. The silicone products can migrate and ruin contact surfaces.

If the rubber rollers should have lost grip, then a product like "AF Platenclene" can work wonders. I got mine from a Danish supplier, you can use Google to find a supplier nearer to you.

I hope the new print head will bring your printer back to good working order and wish you good luck with the cleaning and lubrication project.