stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Now I do.
Thanks you.

The Pigment Black nozzles that have remained unchanged may be the result of burned out nozzles. They are few enough and spread out that you may never notice them being gone when printing text.

The loss of Magenta may or may work itself out. Since it is seen only in the lighter swath of Magenta, using High Quality setting for printing may hide this loss. If available with your model, consider altering your printing speed to a slower setting when printing photographs in order to decrease stress on the nozzles / electronics (less heat)

Avoid multiple regular cleanings - no more than 2 regular or 1 deep cleaning in 24 hours unless advised otherwise.

It is possible that liquid dish washing liquid, like Dawn or Fairy, di8luted in water may be superior as a soak for print heads as there are enzymes for proteins and plant-based substancess plus surfactants. The longer you soak the better it may work. Patience is key.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Are you saying it's OK to print with the head in this state?
If after all the cleaning there is no change in the nozzle check, then further cleaning is just been harmful to the head, printing is the only answer and it may even clear the remaining nozzles if they are not already damaged, just try to relax and enjoy the printer..

kanonvater

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
Thanks to all for the guidance and the generosity with your time and knowledge. I'll keep printing and see how it works out.

Since getting my first Canon inkjet, I've spent some dozens of hours lurking here and in other forums that discuss the care and feeding of these somewhat finicky creatures. This forum is by far the most comprehensive I've found, full of well-informed people.

But there's always more for me to learn. I'd read that deep head cleanings should be limited to no more than 1 per 24 hour period (though not why).. However, I had no clue that regular purges (head cleanings) were supposed to be limited too.

I used to run 6 cleanings in a row, sometimes more, with my Epson. On that printer, a Stylus Photo 900, there was no "deep cleaning" function. From my research years ago, if the first few cleanings don't work, you keep going, and the cleaning gets stronger with each iteration. Sometimes it actually even worked. :-\ And then I had to refill the carts, which then required at least one MORE cleaning. That's Epson for you, I guess.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can do cleaning cycles to your hearts content on an Epson printer, but Canon printers can and will fail if you run continual cleans, they are simply harmful to the electronics in the head, and waste lots and lots of ink...
Canon print heads are very fragile, but if left alone to just print then they tend to last for years..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'd read that deep head cleanings should be limited to no more than 1 per 24 hour period (though not why).
Probably due to generated heat.

kanonvater

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
So it sounds like the printhead nozzles are firing during a purge. It's not just ink being passively pulled through the head by the purging pump's vacuum. I did not expect that.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Isan't it time for a new printer. In my experience stubborn ink blocks cannot be resolved in the long term. I've spent many a "Happy hour" trying to unblock printheads. Hot water is my prefered method but unless you have a top of the range model, it's often better to purrchase a new PH (if available) or a new printer.
Beware of Ebay promises of miraculous cures for PH blocks, If hot water doesn't solve it, nothing will.

kanonvater

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
> Isan't it time for a new printer.

Thanks, but not really. I prefer older printers.

I don't need or want new-fangled features like wifi printing, cloud connectivity, and printing from my mobile phone. I'm fine with just a USB cable, or even a parallel cable.

I like being able to access the maintenance mode from the printer's front panel. I don't want to risk bricking the printer with the wrong version of some bootlegged and malware-infested factory software that I have to run from a carefully quarantined computer.

I don't want tiny, expensive ink cartridges that resist being refilled.

I don't want a printer that refuses to accept refilled cartridges.

I resent printers that download new firmware to make themselves even more refill resistant. (That's why my Epson WF-7710 isn't allowed to connect to the internet.)

The IP3000's nice, big, clear BCI6 and BCI3e carts have no chips to reset. They're almost trivial to refill.

Finally, I'm just not OK with "disposable printers." It just goes against my nature to junk a complex machine like a printer because one part clogs or fails -- or, worse, because the ink carts are empty.

BTW, Stratman and The Hat seem to have nailed it. There are probably a few burned out black nozzles, but you can't really tell in the output. Also, if I look at the nozzle check very closely with a jeweler's loupe, I can see that one nozzle in the lighter cyan also consistently doesn't fire, so I assume it's burnt out too. But again, I haven't noticed that flaw in normal printing.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also like the good old Canon printers of the BCI-3e/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 generations. They are a higher build quality than printers for home use of newer cartridge generations. An original unused print head for the iP3000 can still be found at C1 Supplies in Germany. It is a bit expensive at 92.75€ + shipping though.