Ip3000 PGB spotty again

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I’ve owned for years a still serviceable IP3000. Page count is almost 48000. The waste inkpads counter was resetted but the pads weren't changed or cleaned. No ink overflow (for the time being).
Sadly, the printhead isn’t that well. 25% of black nozzles are electrically dead. I still can print text if I use high quality mode, In standard mode some lines are good and others aren’t black but grayish, due to the non firing nozzles.

A couple of weeks ago I found an used IP3000 for sale quite near my home and I couldn’t resist. Only 16 euros, shipping included. The vendor told me honestly that the machine had been scarcely used and stored in a drawer for a long time. Therefore, some clogs “might” be expected. When the printer arrived, first thing I noticed was the yellow cart missing and the other three (of an unknown brand) were bone dry. I discarded these three carts and I put OEM refilled carts and the printhead from my old IP3000 (quite risky, I know..). The printer worked fine. A service eeprom print told me that this IP300 had churned only 1160 pages in almost ten years. All OK here but the “new” printhead was a very different matter.
After repeated cleanings out of the machine (overnight, on a bowl with diluted ammonia, dishwasher, distilled water ) the three dye colors came fine (service print test showed just one missing nozzle on both the smaller cyan and magenta channels). Pigmented black wasn’t so friendly. Out of 320 nozzles 15 or 20 are still stubbornly clogged (or dead ). As with the other printhead, it prints text perfectly in high quality mode, but standard quality shows faint banding and a bit of fuzziness here and there. Text is perfectly readable and good enough for drafts, but not for anything else unless I revert to high quality mode, which is painfully slow.
To be fair, for the price paid, I expected beforehand a totally unusable printhead and a printer in far worse condition.

Now I own two good working IP3000s and two printheads “useable” for text and flawless for color. Not that bad. Besides, as @The Hat said several times, maybe those stubborn clogs will fix themselves one day. In fact, the clogs in the cyan channel of my older IP3000 machine disappeared suddenly when I had given up cleaning. ( we all know that @The Hat is always right..;) ).

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
After a few days of moderate use, I'm glad to report that the missing black nozzles of my "new" IP3000 are only 7 at present, No fuzzy or smeared lines in the nozzle check. Printing on standard quality mode is good enough for most purposes and I can't see any banding on the text right now.