iP3000 or i550 choice?

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had an iP4000 and had a print head problem and like an idiot didn't buy another print head for it. Instead I bought an iP4300, I won't bore you with the problems, suffice to say that it went on the scrap metal lorry with other bits on Thursday last, "if you don't take the printer mate you can't have the rest!"

I advertised on our local Gumtree for a Canon printer of the non-chipped variety and have had two replies one offering an i550 and the other an iP3000, both apparently working.

Either of these will suit my simple requirements and I wondered if anyone would care to express a choice that would help me make up my mind.

Regards - Jim

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I believe that the ip3000 only uses four cartridges (C,M,Y and pigment Black), whereas the ip4000 uses five cartridges (C,M,Y,Bk and pigment Black). The ip3000 uses the C,M and Y to form black for photos, where the ip4000 has a dye based black for photos. If you don't plan much photo printing the ip3000 should be OK. Sorry to hear that you had problems with the ip4300. I have the ip4200 and ip4500 (plus ip4000 and ip6000D) and both work very well.

Steve W.

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
JF - thats interesting info, didn't know about the 3000 and 4000 being on the same chassis.

Thank you very much

Jim

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Steve - Yes your quite right about the cartridges, I always did think the 4000 was a bit OTT for my needs, just the odd photo and bits for my model railway.

Thank you for your reply

Jim

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jimread said:
just the odd photo and bits for my model railway.
What scale/gauge do you model in? As my forum name says I model in On30 - O Scale 30" narrow gauge trains on HO track. Also have an outdoor G gauge layout that I rebuilt this past summer. Raised it 2' to 3' above ground level. Couldn't work at ground level anymore - age is catching up to me. Have had the outdoor layout since 1988. Have also been in HO standard gauge and HO 3' narrow gauge in the past.

Steve W.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jimread said:
JF - thats interesting info, didn't know about the 3000 and 4000 being on the same chassis.

Thank you very much

Jim
Yep, not the same "print engine" but the same physical chassis (architecture) as you can see in the Canon link.
I actually have an iP4000 stacked directly on top of an iP3000 on my desk.
Yeah, it's a PITA to change out ink in the iP3000 but it works for me.

I love that simple, elegant architecture of that era....my favorite of all the Canons.
Now if I could just find a low-mileage iP8500 my collection will be complete :)

And yes, I need counseling :lol:

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Steve,

I've only ever done the one scale, 0 gauge, it's the only scale I could scratchbuild locos and wagons in, only from card and plastikard though. I've just started another small layout and have had to go round to a friends to print off some point drawings so that I could stick them to the board and make the points on top.

I think the next layout I'll do (in about 5 years when I'm 70) will be in Gn15 after seeing lots of really interesting stuff on Carl Arendt's site.

Cheers - Jim

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jim,
A friend of mine, Stumpy Stone of WVa, builds those tiny layouts in various scales - mostly On30 now. Several of his are shown on Carl's site. Saw one of Stumpy's and two other micro layouts, one that was in a suitcase, at a narrow gauge meet in Ohio last April.
Guess the above has nothing to do with printers, but had to post it anyways.

Steve W.