IP3000 - 5x flashing orange after cleaning Ink contamination?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
cleaning seems to have helped a few people. How would you recommend trying that as a last attempt?
From what you have told us, you would be beating a dead horse to continue monkeying around with the print head in hope it will revive. Pronounce print head death, grieve, and get a new print head or a new printer.

If you want to continue trying to salvage the print head then flushing and soaking would be the least destructive method. See here for details on my method.

JKL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
Ok, so the moderator removes the links "Reason: Untrusted link are always removed...". I'll try quoting. I hope it's ok.

Try this ...
1. Turn off printer
2. Hold down Resume button and press Power button.
3. Keep holding down Power button and let Resume button go.
4. Press Resume button 2 times then let BOTH buttons go.
5. Green lights will flash and then stop blinking.
6. When green lights are solid, press the Resume button 4 times.
7. Press the Power button and the printer should turn off, if not, press the Power button once more.
8. Your printer should respond as normal.

And:

If it is blinking 5 times, that signifies a printhead problem.
Try this---
I have tried EVERY solution I could find on the internet - NONE worked.
This DID work:
Remove printhead - get large plastic cup or tupperware bowl that is wide enough to
hold the printhead - Fill cup or bowl to top with HOT water. Place printhead in to cup or bowl so that the water covers the top of the silver circles for each color on the printhead - The ink in the water will go into the water. After 2-3 minutes empty the water and repeat - repeat until water is close to being clear - place printhead on wadded up toilet paper (bottom of printhead on paper) - press slightly down for 30 seconds or so - paper should have no colors or just a smidgen of a color on it - Gently use toilet paper to remove EXCESS water - DO NOT try to dry every part completely - let printhead sit on wadded up toilet paper overnight - place in printer - add ink cartridges- go to printer - properties - maintenance and run nozzle check until it looks good (2 or 3 times) - do a print alignment and VOILA!!! - You just saved $100.00 or so. It worked for me

And there are several on different websites that claim it worked, eg:

The solution by 'papapoops' above (March 2012) worked for me!
I had to drain/refill the cup with HOT water more than 10 times, moving the print-head up and down gently in the hot water to encourage the removal of years worth of built-up ink. But the process he described worked perfectly.

JKL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
I will try your method. Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Ok, so the moderator removes the links "Reason: Untrusted link are always removed...". I'll try quoting. I hope it's ok.

Try this ...
1. Turn off printer
2. Hold down Resume button and press Power button.
3. Keep holding down Power button and let Resume button go.
4. Press Resume button 2 times then let BOTH buttons go.
5. Green lights will flash and then stop blinking.
6. When green lights are solid, press the Resume button 4 times.
7. Press the Power button and the printer should turn off, if not, press the Power button once more.
8. Your printer should respond as normal.

This procedure is resetting the absorber counter from service mode. This has no effect on a print head that has developed an electronic defect. Using service mode without knowing what you are doing is not a good idea IMO.

If it is blinking 5 times, that signifies a printhead problem.
Try this---
I have tried EVERY solution I could find on the internet - NONE worked.
This DID work:
Remove printhead - get large plastic cup or tupperware bowl that is wide enough to
hold the printhead - Fill cup or bowl to top with HOT water. Place printhead in to cup or bowl so that the water covers the top of the silver circles for each color on the printhead - The ink in the water will go into the water. After 2-3 minutes empty the water and repeat - repeat until water is close to being clear - place printhead on wadded up toilet paper (bottom of printhead on paper) - press slightly down for 30 seconds or so - paper should have no colors or just a smidgen of a color on it - Gently use toilet paper to remove EXCESS water - DO NOT try to dry every part completely - let printhead sit on wadded up toilet paper overnight - place in printer - add ink cartridges- go to printer - properties - maintenance and run nozzle check until it looks good (2 or 3 times) - do a print alignment and VOILA!!! - You just saved $100.00 or so. It worked for me

And there are several on different websites that claim it worked, eg:

The solution by 'papapoops' above (March 2012) worked for me!
I had to drain/refill the cup with HOT water more than 10 times, moving the print-head up and down gently in the hot water to encourage the removal of years worth of built-up ink. But the process he described worked perfectly.

You cannot remove a print head electronic error by flushing the print head. The reason it seems to have worked is that sometimes an electronic print head error can go away for a few days. But the error will return and the print head cannot be saved.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Using service mode without knowing what you are doing is not a good idea IMO.
Wholeheartedly agree! And, you better be sure they are the proper instructions for your specific printer or you may brick your printer. :(

JKL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP3000
The reason it seems to have worked is that sometimes an electronic print head error can go away for a few days.
I see...