Inktest Hobbicolors UW-8/Inktec CLI-8/Original Canon CLI-8 inks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Leo8088,

I myself do like the Hobbicolors UW-8 ink more than Inktec's CLI-8 compatible ink. The colours are more vibrant and vivid, but some people prefer the more flatten prints with Inktec or Canon's OEM ink. And it has a considerable good light fastness. I have 2 pictures hanging out on my window facing the sun and they are hanging there for about 2 months now and the Canon BCI-6 ink is now becoming a bit pinkish, while the Hobbicolors UW-8 looks much more neutral and more vibrant.

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone have problem with Inktec bottled ink (100ml) ?
I just tried this Inktec bottled ink (finally) with my IP4500 after I spent all my OEM ink (2 sets).
But I feel very surprised that the color accuracy is not at all similar to OEM ink. All colors are WAY WAY OFF with the same paper & printer settings.
Inktec inks is so much darker & RED all over.
I bought this Inktec bottled ink directly from Inktec's distributor in my country.
It is so much different from what Pharmacist has shown us in the sample prints.

Here are the results from OEM & Inktec inks (click to enlarge):

How could this happen ??? I couldn't help cold-sweating after looking at Inktec result.
I have to manually compensate the color intensity : Cyan -5, Red - 30, Yellow - 25, Brightness +4 , Contrast +4 to make it as closely as possible to Canon inks. The compensation I did is purely based on blind experiments which consumed about 30-35 pages. I don't have any background in color theory at all.

And this is the result after lots of compensation (click to enlarge):

This is the best I can do. Any other settings will be create a much noticable difference in the dog picture, where the background will tend to look grey instead of real black with yellowish tint all over the photo. The boat picture still look a little reddish, isn't it ?

Any advice ? I feel puzzed and disappointed. I thought I didn't have to tweak it so much since I don't understand a clue about color theory.
Still lucky enough, after so much efforts, I still managed to make it at least more "Oem-like".

Any comments ???
I still feel a little shocked though to see so much difference between OEM & Inktec.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
But the bottom-right sample of Hobbicolors is too saturated which results in the tree losing detail in comparison with the other two inks. The original is especially good in this one.

There seems to be a trade-off between saturation and fidelity in dark areas.

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I Have order some refills from Hobbicolors in America via e-bay, can anyone in the UK advise me how long they take to arrive following placement of an order ? (yes I know I am impatient)

pipinof

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Serville said:
Does anyone have problem with Inktec bottled ink (100ml) ?
I just tried this Inktec bottled ink (finally) with my IP4500 after I spent all my OEM ink (2 sets).
But I feel very surprised that the color accuracy is not at all similar to OEM ink. All colors are WAY WAY OFF with the same paper & printer settings.
Inktec inks is so much darker & RED all over.
I bought this Inktec bottled ink directly from Inktec's distributor in my country.
It is so much different from what Pharmacist has shown us in the sample prints.

Here are the results from OEM & Inktec inks (click to enlarge):

[url]http://img222.imagevenue.com/loc161/th_77367_dog_oem_122_161lo.jpg[/url][url]http://img196.imagevenue.com/loc875/th_77368_dog_inktec_122_875lo.jpg[/url][url]http://img232.imagevenue.com/loc230/th_77375_thai_oem_122_230lo.jpg[/url][url]http://img169.imagevenue.com/loc874/th_77376_thai_inktec_122_874lo.jpg[/url]

How could this happen ??? I couldn't help cold-sweating after looking at Inktec result.
I have to manually compensate the color intensity : Cyan -5, Red - 30, Yellow - 25, Brightness +4 , Contrast +4 to make it as closely as possible to Canon inks. The compensation I did is purely based on blind experiments which consumed about 30-35 pages. I don't have any background in color theory at all.

And this is the result after lots of compensation (click to enlarge):

[url]http://img124.imagevenue.com/loc992/th_78670_dog_comp_122_992lo.jpg[/url] [url]http://img23.imagevenue.com/loc959/th_78681_thai_comp_122_959lo.jpg[/url]

This is the best I can do. Any other settings will be create a much noticable difference in the dog picture, where the background will tend to look grey instead of real black with yellowish tint all over the photo. The boat picture still look a little reddish, isn't it ?

Any advice ? I feel puzzed and disappointed. I thought I didn't have to tweak it so much since I don't understand a clue about color theory.
Still lucky enough, after so much efforts, I still managed to make it at least more "Oem-like".

Any comments ???
I still feel a little shocked though to see so much difference between OEM & Inktec.
I bought this ink inktec on ebay, and I was very good, the prints are very similar to the originals.
I use the PIXMA ip4500.
Ebay item No. 330300694390
codes of the bottles are C908-100MCS for Cyan etc ...

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Pipinof, now I see the reason.
Mine is CU1000-100MC, and it is not spesifically said for CLI-8.
I guess the ink formulation must be different.
Damn, I have bought 5 bottles for each color.
I guess I have to use them up before I can switch. :(

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Serville,

There is Inktec and Inktec: Inktec is making several specific formulations for the CLI-8 series and one universal version for BCI-3, BCI-6,CLI-8 and others. Go for the specific Inktec CLI-8 version !!!

Duncan: It will actually can take up to 10 working days. Average delivery time is about 5-7 working days.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can try to custom profile the ink. Profiling can correct the colors for you.