Inkgrabber vs Canon ink - photo magenta

cincyart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon i960 gave me spot-on color from day one.......untill I began using Inkgrabber
inks. I bought a full set, and replaced the orig. ink tanks with the Inkgrabber ones as each color ran out. It wasn't untill I replaced photo magenta that I ran into a problem.

All photos became way too magenta, even reducing magenta in the Canon printer prefs
did very little good. I bought a Canon photo magenta and wham...perfect color!

I'll continue to use Inkgrabber inks.....except for photo magenta!

Art

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Art, welcome here and thanks for the post and your opinion. Hopefully we can get enough experiences posted on the forum that certain trends will show themselves with particular printers and inks.

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have you tried the color profiles posted by grandad35. I had a similar problem with inkgrabber inks until I started using his profiles. I won't attemp to repeat what has been said in other posts but I would suggest that you peruse the posts and try grandad35's profiles. These profiles are made for certain printers, ink type and paper. I have found that you can use them for different types of paper then indicated. I saw a tremendous difference, but it takes time to understand how to set it up correctly. Your default printer profiles are set of OEM cartridges so you must use a different profile to obtain the results you are use to. I found the profiles exceeded what I was getting with the OEM cartridges, but as I said it took some time getting everything set right. I was using photoshop which is profile proficient, not all printing software is profile proficient. Hope this helps, but if grandad35 could see this posts he will ad lots more help.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Post #2 in the thread (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=118) explains how to use a custom profile with the Windows Photo Printing Wizard (assuming that Cincyart is running WinXP). Post #1 in the same thread gives some basic information and limitations about the use of profiles.

The i960 is a different printer than the profiles were developed for, but it is certainly worth a try to use them on an i960. If they are close, a few color adjustments in the printer driver may be able to correct minor color problems. Even if these profiles don't work on this printer, using one OEM cart and 5 non-OEM carts to get acceptable color isn't a bad alternative.

cincyart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies.
I made a custom profile and corrected my LaCie monitor when I first bought the i960.
It gave me an exact match to my monitor.
As soon as I replaced my photo magenta cart. with an Inkgrabber one, I was getting
the "sunburned" look in all flesh tones. Going back to Canon took care of it.
I'm still getting a bit more magenta than I care for, at times, so I will next replace the regular magenta with a Canon one. All the rest will remain Inkgrabber.

Art